Platies are agressive towards each other.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi. Heres another question I want to cover today. My three platies are constantly chasing each other. My male platy is chasing my oher female platy pearl, the 3 month old platy Kara is chasing hyper and pearl is chasing Kara. It's like agressive chaos in the 10 gallon tank. I'm so glad they aren't agressive toward the cories nor Gary. Can some help lower down the agression?

Thanks

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know platies do like a good bit of swim space in the tank and they may be a bit cramped in a 10 gallon, especially with a group of zebra danios in there

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't have the zebra danios anymore. Now it just them, the aplle snail and 2 cories.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
good to hear, cories do generally prefer to be kept in groups of 3 or more though, they might appreciate one more of the same type of fish. Id still be will to bet that the platties are aggressive from not having enough swim space to share with each other, not really much you can do for that beside returning them or moving them to a bigger tank, if they seem healthy I think they should be ok

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used to have 3 cories long ago. 2 of them died within a month of each other and I just bought a new cory last sunday. I was thinking of upgrading to at laset a 20 or 30 gallon, but I'm not sure if I'll have the room. I don;t know where to put the fish if I do since I'll be cycling the future 20 gallon. :/

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
you can just add your old filter to the new tank or at least move some of your old filter media to the new filter and then you shouldnt have to worry about cycling

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
did you add the 3 platies all at the same time? Ive had a m/f pair in the tank before, then added another female, and the male constantly chased her away. I removed the male and the females get along just fine, then added the male back a few days later and he's been fine since.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No. I got them on different days except KAra. She was born in the tank and she's only 3 months old.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if you get really concerned about it, take whichever one seems like the dominant aggressor and put him in quarantine for a few days, then reintroduce him to the tank and see how it goes.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well the agression of the male sems to lower down a little bit.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Another thing, my mom wants me to take him to the LFS, but I got him from petco last july and I don't know if any of my 2 LFS take adult platies. So I want to keep him until his time comes and just keep just females because the girls pear and Kara aren't as agressive as Hyper.

Well at least he isn't chasing pearl as much even though he still is.

Brittany

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I use to have 3 platies and one of them was pretty agressive, I added some plants and hiding spots and the agression went down. As long as they aren't stressing each other out too much, I wouldn't worry about it.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had two platies and they were in the same tank at the store, I brought them home and the one killed the other. I havent had platies since. Keep and eye on them and if worse comes to worse I would remove the male for a little while, better safe than sorry.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom