Platies and mollies 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by aylad, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ayladWell Known MemberMember

I think the dread disease of deadly death may finally be gone from my 29gal. I have 10 platies left: two in the 29 and 8 (!) in my horrifically overstocked 10gal. (Most are juvies, thankfully.) I'm planning to move probably 4 more platies to the 29 soon.

So question: if I have 6 or so platies in the 29, how many mollies can I add? My wife has been wanting some assorted mollies for a long time, and I want to know what my target numbers are. :)

2. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Mollies produce a lot of waste so personally, I wouldn't go more than maybe 3 - 1 male and 2 females. Believe me, soon you will have more than you know what to do with. They are like little rabbits.

3. ayladWell Known MemberMember

I should have mentioned: I'm planning on getting an all-female group, so there shouldn't be any breeding. (Having kept platies, I'm aware that female mollies will come pre loaded.)

So taking into consideration that (after the first few months) there won't be any risk of population increase among my mollies, and I can sell/give away any that are born, how many can I go with? ;)

4. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

With no risk of babies, I wouldn't be afraid to put at least 6 or 8 of them in there. But I'm not an expert by any means and you might want to wait for someone with more experience to chime in.

5. ayladWell Known MemberMember

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice