Platies Acting Strange

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello. Recently I’ve been noticing strange behavior from my platies. Right now I have four in a ten gallon. I know I know, too small. I’m trying to work that out and get a twenty gallon. A couple weeks ago I had one platy die. For a week I noticed that it had problems staying upright. Like it would stop swimming and sway from side to side before regaining balance. It’s back started to seem bent, and the orange color (sunburst platy) seemed to get darker and then the Mickey Mouse sign on her tail just got meddled with the dark orange. One day I found her on her side on the gravel. She was still alive. I put her down with clove oil. A couple days later I got a new platy, so seems fine out of the four I have now. The other three sometimes stay in the water with clamped fins, but they unclamp when I go near the tank. Two of them also seem to use their body when they swim. I don’t know if this really makes sense. Like they used to use their tail to swim, but now the wiggle their entire body to move?? Anyway, I don’t know if the previous death is related to this, but I figured I would add it in anyway. Also, I’m pretty sure this filter isn’t good enough for them, it’s rated for a ten gallon but the outflow isn’t that strong. I’ll include a pic below. I siphon my water every week. Tomorrow is water change day. This tank has been running from last August.
Image1524957640.286645.jpg
Image1524957681.606876.jpg
Image1524957795.762251.jpg

One of them has the platy pooping in case you can see if anything is wrong with that. Also the red around their gills is the “blushing” trait, they have had it ever since I got them. I don’t think it’s an ammonia issue.
Thanks guys!

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What exactly are your parameters? Could you post then please?

It sounds like shimmies to me. The other fishes deaths could be related to the water quality.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just did a water change so I can’t test for a while or the results won’t be accurate. However I did clear out the filter and put a new cartridge in. Here’s what the outflow looks like now. I don’t know how long it will stay like that.
Image1525022309.287569.jpg
Image1525022336.085695.jpg

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MaximumRide14 said:
You mean the intake part? I cleaned that out too.
The impeller is the rotating magnet things inside the filter at the end of the intake tube just rinse it off and slide the around on the pole a bit and check to see if any with wrapped around it

GettinTanked

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey there,
Noticing similar behavior in my platy, and looking for answers. May I ask how yours are doing now?

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
GettinTanked said:
Hey there,
Noticing similar behavior in my platy, and looking for answers. May I ask how yours are doing now?
Hi, unfortunately that platy has already passed. I have currently three left. The male has been acting strange, but he still seems to be holding up ok. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up not looking good though. I decided to euthanize the platy because she ended up somewhat sideways under a plant but still breathing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom