Plate coral dying?

ApistoG06

Reaction score
HI all, my plate coral has been looking a bit upset for a while. It has some white bits starting to appear on its skeleton. What happening.

The top picture shows when it was on the frag plug, the bottom how it looks now off it. The change happend ages ago so it won’t be the fact it has been taken off the plug. It was also happy when off the plug only now has got annoyed

Attachments

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI there,

Has there been any changes in your parameters or your routine that you can think of? Also perhaps the cyano on the sand bed could be bothering it?

OP
A

ApistoG06

Reaction score
I have some of the red slime stain remover and it is retreating now so if it is that it will be gone fairly soon. My nitrates and phosphates are low, but my alk took a big swing the other day. I’m starting to think that could be the issue...

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oh yes, swinging alk could have been the issue. Hopefully once it stabilizes again your plate will bounce back. Best of luck!

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Stabilize the alk and get rid of the cyano and you’ll be way better off.

OP
A

ApistoG06

Reaction score
The cyano is on the retreat and the alk I ok dosing polyp lab one now

OP
A

ApistoG06

Reaction score
Still not great I’ve laid off on the alk lots but now other corals seem sad. My Montipora Hirsuta is now starting to brown and has lost all its colour.

I’m really scared I’ve messed up my first tank

Attachments

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Honestly those corals look dead or very close to it to me.

can you post your parameters and give us your routine.

so if this is your first tank as I’ve guessed from your post you really chose the wrong starter corals.
Plate corals and SPS are not easy corals by any stretch of the imagination.

Tell us as much as you can.
tank size, equipment, set up, length of set up, fish, parameters, skimmer. Anything can be helpful to us to help you.

OP
A

ApistoG06

Reaction score
My tank is 13.5 g, the fluval evo. Running all equipment stock but have a homemade media basket in the back with filter pads and carbon. I run a hydor koralia 900 also. I’ve had a cyano bloom for around a month and started dosing red slime remover, I did dose to to many times, but it was needed to get rid of the cyano. I used to have a valentinI puffer, but took it pack as it was too much bioload. I now have a royal gramma, three crabs and three nassprius snails. I have sunny d zoas, zoas which I don’t know the name of, (the red ones on the photo), granny apple smith zoas and everlasting gobstopper zoas, all doing well. For LPS, I have a hammer (doing ok) and my plate coral . For sps I have a Montipora Hirsuta, not doing well ever sunset the three day blackout and a forest fire didgI also browning. My test results are 0 phos which is very strange as nothing is coming up on tests, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite but 20 nitrates. My nitrates are ussualy very low, and but I haven’t test them in two weeks (my bad), and algae has started growing. I’m not sure why the nitrates are so high, but my sister fed absolute loads of pellets to the tank. I do a weekly water changes of 30%, but due to global issues missed one last week. Any help would really be appreciated

I really love this hobby, and I’m seriously deppressed about me screwing this up as I have worked super hard. Here are the red zoas on the left. Pic was from two weeks ago. The tanks now...

My sister bumped the aquarium a second ago which is why the red zoas are slightly closed

Attachments

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
I would say that tanks stock lighting would likely not be enough to support sps corals. They need super bright light.

I’d also check you all, calcium, magnesium. LPS and sps corals will suck those up very fast in a small tank.

OP
A

ApistoG06

Reaction score
Kk I dose them all in one so my they will all be ok if my alk is ok. I’ve ramped down my lights as I had them on for 12 hours but now I’m putting them on 7. Good idea?

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
You still need to test for those other elements. Just because you dose an all in one solution doesn’t mean everything else will be fine. Also keep in mind you said you had alk issues.

cutting back lights will help with algae issues but Cyanobacteria is not algae. It’s an actual bacteria.

OP
A

ApistoG06

Reaction score
I’ll get the test kits do those two then. My cyano is gone now so I’m not too bothered about that just concerned about algea

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
What algae is growing? If you have algae you have excess nutrients. There are critters that can eat certain types of algae but the problem must be remedied.
Also your nitrates are a bit high because of the red slime remover.
Also noticed you said you dozed too much red slime remover. Yes some times you have to but I also saw you skilled a water change. I’m concerned you combined the two slight missteps in the same week. Did you do the extra red slime remover and skip the water change at the same time? Not the end of the world but can mess up the balance for sure. Also the red slime remover is a heavy oxidizer so it uses a lot of oxygen in the water so not sure if you increase your oxygen levels at that time as well.

I’d get those test kits and do a good water change. Hey everyone is off their game with this corona virus. I’m in NYS so we are getting hit hard. I’m in the second worst area in NYS for it. My son has bad asthma so I’m a bit scared.

OP
A

ApistoG06

Reaction score
Oh unlucky mate. I’m not too badly affected as I live in Yorkshire in England but still quite bad. It was in the same week I missed the water change and added the red slime. I’m quite literally on my way right now to get some more salt water. I’ll do a big change then test again.

The algae is just regular green hair algae but only growing on my back drop, just concerned my rocks are getting greener.

New Threads