Plastic to Live Plant Help

bcsay720

Hi, everyone,
I have some extra money from Christmas that I want to use to continue my change over from plastic to live plants. I finally have all my fish (small glowlight tetra school, a betta, some snails, and some shrimp), so plants are my last big hurdle. Here's my current list of live plants:
Wisteria (1.5 weeks since adding it and will trim for propogation soon to increase the density of my betta's "territory")
Frogbit (brand new. Is already the location of my betta's bubble nest less than 24 hrs after inserting and will be checked daily to keep it only one corner of the tank)
3 marimo moss balls
3 anubias (I forget the variations. 2 are babies and 1 is half the "max height," but it hasn't grown a lot since purchasing 2 months ago)

I'd like to add another big piece in the back to replace the big plastic guy on the left. I was thinking driftwood and java moss with wisteria that I keep short near the bottom for cover of my shrimp and snails who like to hide, but I'd love to hear other suggestions. I would also like to replace the squat plastic plant in the front center with something that also grows to be about that height and stays shorter than the temple on the right. Please let me know your thoughts. I'd like something that's easy, as I want my main care focus to be on my fish. Thanks!

John58ford

The front center looks to be a fake fern, you could do some narrow lace java fern, mine is about that height. If you want a rooted/simpler plant, a crypt wendtii variety might fit well there.

I'm really no good at growing tall plants, in the back corner I would probably plant rotala close together, but I'm lazy like that lol. Sword doesn't always root well close to walls, and would look wrong. Maybe a variety of val, a full size java fern variety, or some bushy plant I don't know how to grow yet.

Upvote 0

Dennis57

Either Vals, or what about red tiger lotus? Those are really nice and adds a little red to the tank

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Ok what I was thinking was crypt wendit may be your anubias. Front left. Is that 5he other anubias on the right? If so anubias need it’s rhizome root out of the substrate. For the back left giant hygro would look good and easy to grow.
You must be registered to see images
growing on left. If you like it let me know I will send you some.

Upvote 0

bcsay720

Thank you! The rhizome is out. It's just pointing toward the back. Im thinking of securing it and one of my other babies to something, though, rather than having them planted to help them grow. My second baby has grown about 12 new leaves since getting it about a month ago, though, so I'm not worried about that one.
Either Vals, or what about red tiger lotus? Those are really nice and adds a little red to the tank

I looked online and found jungle and Italian vals. Which do you prefer?

Upvote 0

Dennis57

Thank you! The rhizome is out. It's just pointing toward the back. Im thinking of securing it and one of my other babies to something, though, rather than having them planted to help them grow. My second baby has grown about 12 new leaves since getting it about a month ago, though, so I'm not worried about that one.

I looked online and found jungle and Italian vals. Which do you prefer?
I have both in my tanks

Upvote 0

bcsay720

Thanks for your help, everyone. Due to local availability, I ended up with 2 Amazon sword (which my betta loves since I just trimmed his wisteria, and he was really upset about it) and an anubias nana. Couldn't decide between that and a narrow leaf fern, but I went anubias in the end. I also got some Flourish to help the slow-moving buddies.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishSupreme
Replies
Views