Plastic tanks for fish breeding?

Jimmie93

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm looking for some plastic tanks to breed fish with they would need to fit through a basic door way and last for years. Does anyone have some recommendations? The house I own was made in like 1940 and the floor is extremely non level so I can't use large glass aquariums it's almost impossible to level them.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you just talking about an acrylic tank or are you looking at a super thin plastic like a critter keeper? What are you planning to breed?

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
You can level a tank for sure. Just get a stand or build one and use shims. It’s actually fairly easy.
I was able to do it in a basement from a house that was built in late 1800’s and I had several tanks in my house from 1928. If you want more advice PM me I’d be happy to help.
Plastic tanks that aren’t level could crack just as easy.

OP
Jimmie93

Jimmie93

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
e_watson09 said:
Are you just talking about an acrylic tank or are you looking at a super thin plastic like a critter keeper? What are you planning to breed?
Thick plastic tanks not acrylic I don't need a side view they will be simply used for breeding guppies.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jimmie93 said:
Thick plastic tanks not acrylic I don't need a side view they will be simply used for breeding guppies.
Acrylic is a type of plastic, just a fancier word for it HAH. If you're looking at breeding guppies why not just get a shelf, level the shelf and get small 5 gallon glass tanks side by side. Small tanks like this honestly are not nearly as big of an issue regarding being perfectly level and 5 gallon glass tanks are super cheap and I don't know where you'd find plastic cheaper unless you custom made them.

I live in an 1800s farmhouse so I do know your pain. I'm super careful about where I keep my tanks for this same reason.

Newtothisthingspeezs

Reaction score
If you are just breeding for sale not for looking nice you can use a clear large plastic bin if you want but plastic on would only be like a acrylic like a small like top fin starter kit that is all I can think of

OP
Jimmie93

Jimmie93

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
e_watson09 said:
Acrylic is a type of plastic, just a fancier word for it HAH. If you're looking at breeding guppies why not just get a shelf, level the shelf and get small 5 gallon glass tanks side by side. Small tanks like this honestly are not nearly as big of an issue regarding being perfectly level and 5 gallon glass tanks are super cheap and I don't know where you'd find plastic cheaper unless you custom made them.

I live in an 1800s farmhouse so I do know your pain. I'm super careful about where I keep my tanks for this same reason.
I'm looking for something cheap like this that has a open top.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jimmie93 said:
I don't see a photo, you will want some sort of lid system. Can you post a link or a photo of what you meant?

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Jimmie93 said:
Reptile carriers should fit the bill. Or even small Rubbermaid totes. Just watch the totes can bow and crack.

OP
Jimmie93

Jimmie93

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here is the picture for some reason it didn't post.

iU64Wro.jpg

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh you're looking at a much larger scale than I was assuming. This is similar to my grow out tank I'm doing. I'm making it a pond style grow out tank. So it'll be big like yours full of plants and just let the fish grow! It'll actually be outside in the warmer months.

One thing to keep in mine with those is the weight. Water is 8lbs a gallon so you'll want to make sure its on a sold ground. Like I make sure my heavier tanks (like the pond grow out) will be on a concrete pad.

If you decide to go smaller petco is having their $1 per gal sale so tanks are only $10 for a 10g. This would allow you to have multiple times of harder to find ones that you could sell for a little more money.

New Threads