Help Plastic Plant Questionable After Boiling

ome8217

Reaction score
The type of plastic plant I'm referring to in this post are these:

So: I was having some of what could've been algae growth, could've been fungus, at the bottom of my tank. To be safe, I removed it and siphoned the gravel and added some new water. To get the stuff off of the items in my tank, I decided my best bet would be to boil and scrub them.

I took the boiling water off of the burner and waited a few minutes to put my items in, but when I went to check on them 15 minutes later, the plastic and silk plants had come off of their bases and their leaves seemed to be curled, probably because of the plastic getting so warm.

My question is: Can I put these back in my tank? They smell really plastic-y now. I was able to situate them back into their bases because unfortunately I don't think the manufacturer used anything more than hot glue to put them in place. I feel bad because I had like $30 worth of these plants and I kind of want to use them.

sheehanje

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It probably wouldn't hurt anything to put it back in, but plastics are oil based and if it degraded you may end up with a film on the top of the tank after a while.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I put my silk plants in boiled water just because I want the leaves to curl. I think they look more natural. And they always smell like plastic to me.

New Threads