Plastic Ornaments With Dissolving Paint

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by daveisfishin, Apr 16, 2017.

1. daveisfishin

daveisfishinNew MemberMember

Anyone experience this issue with plastic / resin ornaments? (see photos) The paint dissolves. I always pre-soak new ornaments for 24 hr. and didn't notice any unusual smells or feel with these. After about a year, they began having a bleach smell and the paint is coming off. Once dry, the smell goes away. Don't know if this was causing issues with our fish but I'm not using them anymore.

Attached Files:

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!
    Although not on any decorations (I have all natural materials) something similar happened to an aqueon heater I only used for a 5 months. The black paint stripped and you could see the glass and white paint (? Looks exactly like the white in your photos) underneath. Plus, it looked like rust/ corrosion was on the surface and the edge of the black and I saw what looked like soemthing was leeching into the tank (kinda like looking at heatwaves on a hot day). I thought my babies were going to die. Better believe I took that shiitake OUT! Smelled like bleach (more like concentrated HCl) until it dried too.

3. bgclarke

bgclarkeWell Known MemberMember

I had that happen (paint come off) with a TopFin ornament.

4. OP
    OP
    daveisfishin

daveisfishinNew MemberMember

Thanks for the feedback. I've decided not to use any painted ornaments ever again. Either plain resin/plastic/glass or just plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice