plastic in tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by featherblue, Dec 9, 2012.

1. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

Any plastic. I should stay away from?

I'm assuming pvc is ok.....seen several people use it for projects.

2. chrisb01

chrisb01Well Known MemberMember

PVC is A OK for use in aquariums.

3. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

I would imagine ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) would be ok too? I work for a company that uses ABS in it's products and I have used a tube from work as a cave. I've had it in there for almost a year with no troubles. I hope I haven't just been "lucky" lol

4. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I've used both ABS and PVC, a major difference is ABS is typically cellular core and I would not use that pipe in my tank, however the ABS fittings have no foam core exposed and I have used the fittings, PVC is safe all around and generally, any plastic used for potable human applications should also be okay.

5. fishynoob

I'm not sure if mine is cellular core or not but it is designed to withstand a lot of G force.

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Plastic water bottles are okay too; I think those are made from PET but I don't remember.

7. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

On the plastic somewhere, there should be a triangle with a number in it. That number identifies what kind of plastic it is, and what it's suitable for use with.

The water bottle in my hand is type 1. I don't know what the different numbers correspond to, but that information is easily accessible on the Internet, I'm sure.

8. fishynoob

I forgot it is usually written on the plastic. You may find this link useful:

9. Jaysee

I knew it was out there ;)

10. fishynoob

Everything is out there somewhere teehee :)

11. Matt B

You'd be able to tell by looking at an end that was cut, if its cellular core you can actually see the outer and inner solid layers w/foam in between.

12. fishynoob

Mine is a short tube sealed on all sides so I can't see inside it to tell any other way of knowing?

13. Matt B

There would be a stamp lengthwise on the pipe and at some point along the length it would say "foam core" or "solid core". Probablt not a ton of help considering the info stamp extends 5 feet or so so it'd be a longshot if you got the section with the stamp.

What do you mean "sealed on all sides"? Like its a length of pipe with caps on each end? Or is it a fitting and not a length of pipe? If its a fitting, thats fine, they are solid and sealed.

14. Jaysee

I bet Matt would find it helpful to look at a picture.

15. fishynoob

I googled and it's a fitting thank you.

16. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1Valued MemberMember

I don't know much about TYPES of plastic, but I know you should clean anything you put in your tank first! X)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice