plants

1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

anybody know any good plants for a 30 gallon tank that have fish in it and breeding angels besides amazon swords, and does anybody know if its normal for all the pet stores around me to have snails in ther plant tanks b/c i dont want to get baby snails on a live plant becouse they infest my tank ???

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

If you have basic lighting over your tank, then I would suggest some low light plants. Here's a great link on low light plants:

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=1&filter_by=2

It is very common to have snails hitch hike on your plants when you buy them. You can soak your plants in a bleach bath before you put them in your tank to kill the snails and any eggs on the plants. I will have to get back to you on the bleach water ratio though, and how long to soak the plants. ;)

3. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

thnks i apreciate it my grandpa had 3 30 gallon tanks and i took one and my aunt took 2 but unfortunatly i had to take the one with snails so i had to get new everything and clean it real good b/c he got a amazon sword plant with snails on it and they took over i dont want that to happen again b/c i forot to get a new filter and they were in it and i had to kill them adn it was a huge pain. i know amazon sword plants are good and he had some other plants i think were called brown wendis or something like that i would like to get those but im not sure

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Probably Bronze Wendtii, they are Cryptocornes popularly know as "Crypts" :)
    They make very nice additions to your tank.
    carol

5. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

do u know wat the water and bleach ratio is b/c i would like to try that

i realy dont want any more snails thnks

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I believe the ratio is 19:1. 19 parts water: 1 bleach
    Carol

7. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

would any bleach work and how long would you have to soak it and would it kill any essential things on the plant

8. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

You don't soak them very long. I don't think I'd go longer than a minute. Your plants may look puny after doing this, but they should come back.

9. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i just soaked a crypt plant in a bleach and water bath for 30 secs and it looks fine ill tell u how it does later

theres a guy at my petstore that says clown loaches only grow about 4-5 inches and are great snail eaters wat do u know about that i thought they can get a little over a foot thnks

10. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i called up RMS a pet store by me that specializes in fish and they said that a bleach bath words long as the bleach ratio is extremely low b/c it will kill the plant

11. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

You want to use a bleach without any kinds of additives.
    Generally this means find the cheapest bleach you can find.

I beg to differ on clown loach size, they get over a foot. As well, it is best not to buy fish to fix a temporary problem.
    What do you do with the loaches once the snails are gone?

Dino

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I beg to differ also my clowns grew to over 6 inches the first year I had them and the will eventually get to over a foot.
    Carol

13. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

well day 2 and the plant looks good and no snails long as this works i will slowly change my tank to heavily planted thnaks everybody

14. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

sry i havent been on between school and the computer screwing up i havent been on but so far no snaials and the plant is doing great thnks for the help everybody anybody know anything bout java moss or xmas moss il probly get some of that soon

15. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Glad the bath worked for teh snails ;) I love my Java Moss but be fair warned it goes just everywhere. ;D
    Carol

16. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

thats ok that itl go everywhere i hav a lot of rocks and caves and they would look good with some green on thme and id like to get some easy plants right now since im kinda new at keeping plants and hopfully the bath worked b/c ther may not of even been snails on it im not sure but thnks and do u know anything bout aquatic flowers?

17. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

18. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

does anyone know of any stores in US that sell live plants? I SOOOOOO want to get some but I don't know of any places that have them! does walmart have them? (they would only be a last resort...) anyone know if petsmart/petco has them? UG! I WANT SOME REAL PLANTS-THEY ARE SO PRETTY...

19. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

petsmart might but i dont hav one near me but a RMS has them i dont hink any of those r by u and a city petstore is where i get mine uesed to be RMS the petsupermarket by me doesnt sell them and pet supplies plus by me i dont buy from b/c they dont take care of them wat petstores are by u??

20. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Petsmart has live plants but you have to be careful because sometimes they sell plants that are not aquatic.
    Once in a while off-ice at plantgeek.net has some for sale.
    Carol