Plants

Neil Skelding

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What is the best live plants to keep with Cichlids? They keep ripping my plants to shreads with in aweek.

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i have HEARD of people using java fern, and they leave them alone, the only cichlids i own are angels and convicts, neither of which bother the plants much--convicts plants are floating.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tougher leaved ones seem to survive longest also the ones that can bw attached to wood or rocks. Anubias, Java Fern, Bolbitis are a few good ones that need to be attached to wood or rock.
Carol

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Attached plants sometimes do well but even the toughest ones will often get torn apart. Anubius are the toughest of the tough & if you don't have success with those I would just get fakes. Increasing the amount of vegtable matter in the fishes diet might help get them to leave your plants alone a bit more.

chrisb01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It all depends on what Cichlids we're talking about. Angelfish will not bother plants. Severums will eat any and all plants.

Some Cichlids are more veggies than others.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
chrisb01 said:
It all depends on what Cichlids we're talking about. Angelfish will not bother plants. Severums will eat any and all plants.

Some Cichlids are more veggies than others.
The fish are listed in the OP's Aquarium Info on the left side of thier posts. Blue Acara, Cons, Electric Yellows & Electric Blues. All of which will damage plants to a certain extent. The Acara isn't so bad but Cons, & mbuna will hammer any plants that are not floating on the surface.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads