Plants 55 Gallon Tank 

Zachary_irving

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 Jack Dempseys and 3 little Convicts. The JD's are about 1.5" long and the convicts are maybe nickel sized. I want to put some live plants in my tank to help with oxygenation but I'm not sure which ones to get. Like I said its a 55 gallon tank. Ph of 7.2 and is kept around 75 degrees with a florescent lightbulb (the long round ones). The driftwood I found on the beach and I cured it in freshwater for a few weeks. If anyone has any ideas what to look for in plants please let me know! Thanks

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello,

Try checking out I'm sure you'll be able to find all kinds of plants and some helpful info. Best of luck!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't put live plants in your tank. The JD & Cons will make fairly short work of all but the very toughest of plants. You could try attaching some Anubius to some of the wood but don't be surprised if it gets all torn up fairly rapidly.

To increase oxygen content in a tank with no plants, increase the amount of surface disturbance there is. Either from adding airstones or by directing the flow from your filter towards the surface. Oxygen is dissolved into water through surface exchange so the more surface disturbance there is the more oxygen will dissolve into the water.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like Nutter said with those 2 species plants won't last long.
With them being small you may be ok for a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised even at that size if they tear them up now.

Brian

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads