plants

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey all I see how lots of people have full healthy large plants all really green and it looks great in there tanks. I have a discus tank the fish look great but the plants have a fare way to go they are all brown and nearly dead. What are some ways that can help my plants grow so they fill the tank with colour so they can be as good looking as my fish.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sure Nate or Nutter might pop in for more expert advice, but here's a little background that might help you understand what goes on.

Plants rely on a good balance of Lights (for photosynthesis and growth), CO2 (to breathe), Nutrients (to eat). Nutrients required are mainly in the form of Nitrogen, Phosphate and Potassium [aka NPK]) as well as trace elements such as Iron. Also important are water parameters including pH, General Hardness (GH) and Carbonate Hardness (KH)

On the lighting side of things: It's not just how much light, but also what type of light (e.g. what spectrum of light)
On carbon dioxide (CO2): This can be derived from the CO2 expelled by your fish, as well as being enhanced by the injection of carbon dioxide, either by gas or liquid.
Nutrients: If you have a substrate, it will most likely contain nutrients and trace elements. Over time the nutrients will be used by the plants, at which point, the addition of fertilisers may be required. In the form of liquid or root tabs.

As for what the correct balance is, well that depends on the plant(s) and their requirements. Some plants are fairly hardy and undemanding, others are very particular about the conditions they require to thrive. Some plants are low light, whilst others may require full spectrum, high intensity lighting.

If you can provide some details of what type of plants you have (latin/proper names are better, but common names will also do), what type of lighting (e.g. T5HO, CFL, T8, MH) and it's Kelvin rating (e.g. 6700K, 10000K etc), and your exact water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), I'm sure some of our more experienced plant keepers can guide you on a path for best results.

Cheers

Oh, and sorry for the long winded reply

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
38c is awful hot, even for a Discus tank. No matter what sort of lights or ferts or anything else you are using, you won't have much success with most aquatic plants long term in temps over 34c. Discus would usually be kept at around 30c so get that temp down & see how much difference it makes to your plant health. Still give us the details of your lighting, water parameters, co2 & fertilizers if you use them as they may also be a contributing factor & we can help guide you in the right direction there. Get those temps down though as right now that is definitley a problem.

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hey sorry about the temp is razed at the moment because i had a breakout of ich im dropping it back down. i asked the discus breeder who i brought my breeding pair off and he said that was the best temp. i no i have valiss with is the only plant that seems to grow well in my tank. i have ludwigia of some sort very dead looking, (Amazon sword plant echinodorus tenellus)and something that looks like aglaonema simplex its hard 2 tell its nearly dead. lighting is just what came with the tank one makes it bright one makes it really bright and one makes the hole tank look pink colour if that helps what light should i get? sorry about all my info its not that great. and spelling gramer

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aside from the temp, I'd say that lighting is probably a big problem here. Most of the time, the lighting that comes with your tank is inadequate for most plants. Unfortunately, it won't be a question of replacing the bulb, but upgrading the fixture.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meaning: buy a new fixture, buy a retrofit kit, etc. The ballast in your current fixture will not work with bulbs that are powerful enough for plants.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the temps were always over 30c (86f), I don't see how you would have ended up with a Ich problem. Ich can't survive at those high temps.

Could you take one of the light tubes out & have a look at what is written on it & post that info? That will help alot in determining what sort of light you have now & if you need to upgrade or not.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom