PLANTS

1. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I have a few questions regarding plants.

About 1.5 weeks ago, when I went to my pet store to see if they finally have java moss (which they don't !!!), I bought 2 other midground plants (about 6-7 inches tall each). The label says they require low to moderate lighting. The plants are called "Water Sprite" by the way (scientific name: Ceratopteris Thalictroides).

I like the way they look. Somehow, they look hardy to me. I am very surprised to see that they have actually grown over the course of 1.5 weeks! How is that possible? Can plants grow that fast? These plants got about an inch taller than they were last week. I am happy they're growing but I also have some concerns.

I have never cut any of my plants, except trimming the roots when replanting them. I don't exactly know what the plants in the middle of my tank are (for those who saw my tank's pictures) but they grow pretty slowly, so I never really had to do anything with them. Of course my bad that I never looked at their name when I was getting them. It's luck that they're still alive, lol.

Anyway, going back to the new plant, Water Sprite. If it grows too tall, what do I do with it? Cut it on the top? It won't damage the plant, will it? I would also like more of this plant. Is it possible to grow some new plants out of that plant? How do I do it? Sorry, I really don't have any experience with ANY plants whatsoever. What do I do to make that new plant produce some new plants?

Also, the old plant that I have (which looks like amazon sword) - is there a way to grow new ones out of it?

Thanks for any replies :)

P.S. Gunnie, if you're reading this, I am still intent on getting that java moss one way or another!

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Attached Files:

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Carol, yes! That's exactly the same one I have. Believe it or not, I can see it grow every day. I love this plant - looks pretty to me. I am just surprised that a plant, any plant, can grow that fast under just a 20W bulb in a 30g. tank (wpg is really low in my tank). Carol thank you for the link and care info. about this plant. But like I said, I really have no idea about growing new plants from old plants. What does this mean: "Propagation by adventitious shoots" ? What are adventitious shoots? Is it possible to grow another plant from this plant? Thanks :)

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Little plantlets will girow on the tips of the leaves. These are adventitious shoots ;)
    Carol

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

So if I cut off a plantlet, will that plantlet grow roots?

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

You can plant it or let it float either one. it will already have roots.
    Carol