plants !

1. phil saint Member Member

Hi again everyone ! iv had it with plastic plants and im looking at the idea of getting some real plants for my aquarium but i know very little about planting the aquarium, dose anyone have like a top ten top tips for planting ? ? ? im reading up online on the subject but if anyone has any tips or do's and donts from thier own experience id love to hear them ?

Thanks in advance Phil.

2. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Best tip, determine your lighting and then try it!! We all have different water parameters too. Try something you like and see how it does. We all can recommend our favorites but the lighting is very important.....do you have high, medium or low lighting??

3. phil saint Member Member

I have lights in the hood of the aquarium (1 x 18 watt daylight and 1 x 18 watt softlight) aquarium lights are on for 4-5 hours a day usualy 5pm-10pm

4. rezcraze Initiate Member

Hi you need to do the following;

1. Buy a good substrate like Aqua soil amazonia.
    http://www.adgshop.com/Substrate_System_s/1.htm"

2. try simple hardy plants first like Vallisneria, Anubias etc

3. You need good lighting for atleast 10 hrs a day.

4. You can also try an Aqua plant liquid fertiliser once you get going.

Hope this helps.

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Plant substrates are nice, but they are not a necessity IME. I have a 120 gallon planted tank with pool filter sand and all my plants are doing quite well.

Phil, are you looking to plant your 80 liter or your 110 liter? The 36W of lighting you have will be sufficient for low light plants in either tank, but you may be able to get away with some medium light plants in your 80 liter. :)

6. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

You can grow plants in plain ol' gravel and you don't need fertilizer if you don't want (to start). If it seems you need fert then go for it.
    Start with the easy, harrdy plants like posted above but I would add java to this as well.
    Def go for the planted tank!
    Good luck.

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Crypts are a great choice as well. :)

8. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Anubias, some swords, java fern, and hornwort are all pretty hardy low light plants. The hornwort grows like a weed and can be trimmed and re planted. It does shed and can be messy. But it will grow in a wide range of lighting conditions.

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

10. phil saint Member Member

thanks for the advice i ended up gettin a java fern, nesaea crassicaulis, staurogyne sp and another whos name escapes me at the minute haha they have been in for about 2 weeks now and all apart from the nesaea crassicaulis (1 or 2 leavse going brown at the tip) are doing fine, the ferm even has 5 or 6 new shoots with tiny new leaves on it starting to grow.
    i also just got some drift wood covered with moss.