Plants...

pickle the fish guy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So my 15 gallon tank came with a hood equipped with an led light in it. I know that led lighting doesn't support many real plants, but are there any that should work fine with it?

Neptune334

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Picture of the light?

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have tons of success with my topfin 20 gallon kit. I just use its led hood it came with and am growing water spangles, java fern, amazon and Argentine swords, and some crypts just fine!

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised what a basic LED light hood can grow. Mine came with a very cheap starter kit (Grreat Choice, PetSmart's house brand) and it has six small LEDs in two groups of three - not even a full strip across.

The tank has vallisneria, tiger lotus, java moss, java fern, anubias, wendtii, s repens, giant hygro, narrow leaf chain sword, etc. I even have some floating water lettuce. Some plants do better than others, and they certainly don't grow as fast as they would under good light, and some (ludwigia, creeping charlie, floating water sprite, riccia fluitans) died on me quickly, but I've been pleased.

So give some a try. In my opinion, Amazon sword, anubias, java fern, and red tiger lotus are all good low-light bets but your hood might surprise you if you want to try some moderately demanding plants.

And oh - read up on plant dips and plant quarantine if you haven't yet. It's something I was ignorant about in the beginning. You can bring diseases like ich, snails, and worms into your tank via plants.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I too have no problem growing plants with led lights. Plus they last longer and are much cheaper to run.

Dila415

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
.... that's the best to grow saves your electric bill.... great for fish plants and indoor veggies even use it on cannabis

pickle the fish guy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
be153cc8d629f63a811192ce509c009a.jpg
(hope that loads) someone asked for a picture of my light. That's what it has. Not sure it's strength but it lights up super bright.

Tsin21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My betta tank only uses the built-in LED and the plants are fine, I even have some ludwigia and some cabomba (not doing great but just surviving I guess) in there. The LED in my betta tank is rated at 2.5w. You may start with lowlight plants like anubias, amazon swords, moss & hornworts. If you can find someone to borrow a PAR meter, it would be great to know the PAR value.

pickle the fish guy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So moss balls and anubias would likely do well then? Awesome

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom