Plants

1. Cshawn Initiate Member

What plants grow best under the standard led lights? I want to start to add plants in my 55g tank to give my 8 tiger barbs and 4 Gourami some more places to hide. I want all artifical plants out of the tank!!

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

My tank, with the simplest LEDs you can get, a simple 2 light strip that came with tank kit. Had these for a week or two. Idunno bout the Java Fern. Lot of leaves turning brown. But the rest (Amazon sword, Java moss, Anubias Nana) are doing well. I had anacharis and it did well for a while but then started to die. Not sure why.
    [​IMG]
    I dose with a cap of Flourish Excel daily and occasionally some Flourish.
    I know the feeling of wanting to ditch the fake plants haha.

3. octavio Member Member

The Flourish Excell is probably the culprit for not having success with anacharis. I've bunches of the stuff floating in a 5 gallon bucket with only ambient room light and in the shade. The stuff is deep green and growing just fine. I doubt the led lights that came with your tank are of much good except to illuminate the fish. However, the low light plants you do have will probably live.

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Ooooh okay hahaha I might salvage what's left and leave it in a bucket to grow.

5. Cshawn Initiate Member

Ok so get low light plants do you think the banna plants would do well in this situation

**Bananna

6. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

Curious as to why Flourish Excel isn't good for anacharis? I just got some myself.

7. Kwig Well Known Member Member

It can melt several different plants. The best thing to do is start with a fraction of the recommended dose and over the course of a few weeks, increase until you're at the recommended dose. This will give more sensitive plants time to adjust. It's supposed to mean pretty instant death to vals too, but I have anacharis and vals in my 85 and that gets dosed daily with an automatic doser. They're all doing quite well and actually the new growth has been awesome since the tank has received a regular daily dosing as soon as the lights come on. My work schedule varies greatly so time of day and how often i would actually dose the glutaraldehyde would vary greatly.

8. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

I see, I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!