Plants With Tetra Safestart Cycle?

1. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

So i am going to be doing a tetra safestart cycle with guppies on wednesday, but wanted to know if i could add some plants when i add the guppies? I have 2 inches of sand.

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Is there a reason you want to do a fish-in cycle? If you don’t have the fish yet I would recommend you do a fish less. If you already have a cycled tank you can even add some media from that and add it to help your cycle.

To answer your questions, it is fine to add plants while cycling.

3. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Any plants you recommed? Preferably ones that are easy to care for. Low light?

4. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Good for you for planning so well. Yes plants are fine (the plants section/forum has lists of recommended low light plants.
    TSS+ works great for a fish in cycle if you 1. Adhere to the super light stocking guidelines (1 inch of fish per 10 gallons) and 2. Feed lightly for the 14 days.
    Good luck

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

@Mom2some , do you think it would be as important to keep the super light stocking while cycling since @BettaFishKeeper4302 wants to put live plants in the tank during the cycling process?

The reason I mention this is (although I've never had any live plants) I have heard that live plants will absorb ammonia from the water column, which I would assume could starve out the TSS bacteria.

6. Mom2some

I don’t know. The super light stocking is the TSS recommendation. It is where I think people report TSS “fails” because they fully stock the tank & then expect TSS to work. So with plants maybe the OP should aim for 1.5-2 inch of fish per 10 gallons?

7. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Yep i know and thanks.

I was going to do 3 guppies because 1. I am planning to have guppies in this tank and 2. I have a 29 gallon so is that one gallon gonna make a difference?

8. Mom2some

No the one gallon won’t matter. I cycled my 34 gallon tank with 6 fish - 2 guppies & 2 platys. They were all young, I had no plants. What is your final stocking plan? You might want 4-5 fish, depending on how small/big they are.

9. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

My final stocking plan is
    6x guppies
    6x neon tetras
    6x Albino corys
    X1 Smaller species of pleco like pitbull or something.

10. Mom2some

I might cycle with 4 guppies. I would be concerned about temperature compatibility between the albino Cory’s & neons. Beware many people have issues with neons being poorly bred.

11. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

So what should i replace the neons with?

12. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

I think the temperature may be all right. Neon tetras prefer 68-78 degrees, albino corydoras prefer 72-79 degrees, guppies prefer 70-80 degrees, and pitbull plecos prefer 68-78 degrees. All seems to work out, but if you're worried about the quality of the neon tetras, then harlequin rasboras are a good replacement.

13. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

So do i get 3 or 4 guppies when i start the cycle tomorrow? Also i know tanks need to run for at least 24 hours but is 20 hours close enough?

14. Adriifu

Yeah, 20 hours is fine. Three to four guppies seems all right, but make sure to test the water daily just in case. If ammonia gets above 1 ppm, perform a water change and use Prime to detoxify ammonia/nitrites (unless Safestart does that already).

15. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

When doing a safestart cycle i am not aloud to do any water change for 14 days. On the 15th day i can do a water change with prime but if i do it during the 14 days the bacteria will be killed by prime.

16. Adriifu

Ah, okay. I've never used it, so I wouldn't know. Just follow the directions and you should be all right.

17. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Yep

18. Mom2some

Yes - you are right. Do not test or water change with TSS+. You can top off after 7 days using dechlorinated water if needed. I am excited for you!

19. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Thanks! But i think i have run into a minor problem. Guppies. They breed and i am not interested in having a tank full of guppies exept i want to keep them and i want to have some live plants. What do i do?

20. Adriifu

Get all male or all female.