Plants with Pleco

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Bluegillfreak, Jul 21, 2014.

1. BluegillfreakValued MemberMember

What are some plants that my pleco wont eat? He has eaten my huge java fern to death and I just pulled it out of my tank :/ Now I need some new plants and dont know what to get.

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

What kind of pleco do you have ?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    B

BluegillfreakValued MemberMember

Pretty sure its a common.

4. NCE12940

NCE12940Well Known MemberMember

Got me... I have Bristlenoses and they vacuum my plants but don't eat them.

5. AquaticBrandon

Same. I have a pleco but he never eats my plants.

6. Witchydesign

WitchydesignWell Known MemberMember

Have you tried giving him fresh veggies?

7. AquaticBrandon

Also he might of been hungry so that's why he ate your plant. Feed him fresh vegetables like zucchini, lettuce, and cucumbers.

8. OP
    OP
    B

How much and do I just cut him off s piece and drop it in?

9. Witchydesign

I do a long slice personally. Its for my snails but itll be the same for a pleco. I weight mine down with a rock. image i prefer the rubber band to string, but you can use either.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  10. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Plants can be hit or miss with Plecos in the tank. Even though they may not eat the plant, they can surely break off the leaves when they try and rest on them.

My Sail Fin Pleco and Bristle Nose Pleco both love Romaine Lettuce and raw zucchini stuffed with wafers and food sticks. As for the lettuce, Romaine has more nutritional value than Iceberg lettuce. I simply attach the left to a veggie clip and place it on the inside glass. Once the lettuce has been eaten to the rib, I remove it.

Veggie clip, best I've found to date:

Don't waste your time and $ on the Nemo veggie clips. I've broken most of them before I even got to use them.

Keeping Romaine Lettuce Fresh:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/fish-food/69731-keeping-romaine-lettuce-fresh.html

Zucchini:

I slice it round about 3" to 4" thick. Weight it with plant anchors, stuff it with food sticks and wafers and let it sink to the bottom. I do not blanch or boil or nuke the slice. It goes in completely raw. After 4 to 6 hours, I remove the slice before I have to fish out the plant weights. :) If you feed at night, remove any uneaten portions the next morning.

If you do indeed have a Common Pleco, it is going to outgrow your tank quickly. IMO, these fish should be left in the wild. There are other varieties more suitable for the home aquarium, like the Sail Fin and the Bristle Nose Pleco.

Ken

11. OP
    OP
    B

I'm not sure if it's a common or not to be honest but I'll start feeding it like you reccomend and see if I can get my last little healthy java fern plant to start growing.

12. NCE12940

NCE12940Well Known MemberMember

Another feeding apparatus (that I use) -

rsz_20140703_225902.jpg

13. OP
    OP
    B

What all kinds of stuff can I feed my pleco and do I have to do anything to it or just clean it cut it and put it in?

14. Witchydesign

Zuchinni and cucumber are both hits, romaine lettuce, algae wafers... I read someone here gives hers pumpkin in october.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice