Plants With Goldfish - Will These Work?

AMC_1204

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A5A9C611-313F-4E05-9378-C8A1B5464C3E.jpeg
Sorry if this is already been posted, but I am looking to add plants to a fairly new 65 gallon set up. I currently have black gravel and a handful of rocks with just two fake plants (boring). I was looking into doing Java ferns and maybe some sort of moss. My temperature in the tank usually runs around 68°F with two fantail goldfish and some giant danios. I’ve been told the goldfish will eat the plants so be careful what I get, is this true? Also will the gravel be enough with some liquid fertilizer once a week?

AMC_1204

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Will the Anubis and Java Fern do fine in the gravel, I've seen that the Java doesn’t need much but I’m not sure on the anubias? I also plan to throw in a heater and run around 73-75 along with some shrimp maybe. I know the shrimp are going to need the plants to hideout?

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Both Anubis and java fern do not get planted but rather attached to things like rocks or wood. I wouldn't do shrimp in a goldy tank as they'll get eaten up.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Java fern and anubias are good options, tied to hardscape, not planted. The rhizome needs to be exposed. The moss will be devoured quickly. I also have Amazon swords (use root tabs) crypt wendtii (root tabs as well), val gigantea, and ludwigia repens in with my Goldie's.

Floating plants will be eaten quickly as well. Mine love eating hornwort, but others say their Goldie's leave it alone...

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Should I use root tabs or liquid fertilizer with gravel?
Root tabs are for plants you plant the roots in the gravel like sword plants. Liquid fertilizer is used for plants that are not planted like the java fern and anubias. Gold fish produce lots of waste and most plants will use this waste as fertilizer so you should be ok without adding it.

Redrum

Valued Member
Reaction score
They do like yummy plants for sure. My Shubunkin Goldfish even enjoyed my Chocolate mint that had grown down into the pond. When I had Koi they hogged it for themselves but after having sold them the Goldfish claimed the plants as their own. Good Luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom