Plants which compliment Amazon Swords, but are relatively tough?

1. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Afternoon all :;hi1

This morning I took a lovely walk to my LFS after having an idea for how I'd love my tank to look. Since Amazon Swords are really the only plants that won't be decimated by both my BN catfish and BR barbs, I decided to centre the display around them. The ones I bought this morning are almost 17" tall! There were no smaller ones for sale, but they provide lots of shade for my fish which is a definite plus!

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of plants which would compliment Amazon Swords, but not be destroyed by my BN catfish and BR barbs?

All suggestions are much appreciated :)

2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

A picture of your set up would help us give suggestions. :)

3. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Anubias do have thicker leaves. Did you ever see a BN "harm" your swords btw ?

4. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Anubias and java ferns don't get eaten much and are shade loving! They are both very hardy and can survive anything! My java fern quickly went away at making plenty of little plant-lets and my anubias is now flowering (both in low light tanks with no co2 or added ferts). Crinum sp. apparently are goldfish safe, but I have personally never had one that survived after acclimation (crypts are a pain too, all their leaves melt)... I have a jungle val with my goldfish (plus one in another tank with a BN) and the flowing grass-like leaves are beautiful, especially if you have a strong flow in your tank! They will also get right down to make lots of thick grass-like leave and plenty more plant-lets that the more you have to cooler it looks!! I've never had much luck with water sprite or wisteria with BNs, but mosses and subwassertang do fine with mine. Pretty mush anything thats goldfish safe is good with BNs and barbs. Just make sure to protect the roots they may like to dig them up, but you never know how they do with plants until you try. Good luck!

5. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

Here's my current set up el337

My BN didn't harm my swordplants, but I did have some Ludwigia which he had a good munch on along with the BR barbs, that's what got me thinking of tougher plants DoubleDutch

6. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree that anubias and java ferns are pretty hardy and would look nice with the swords.

7. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Thank you for all the suggestions so far :)

Do you think I could get a Java Fern to attach to the rock thing on the right or will the roots struggle to get a grip?

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

They should be ok on the rock.