Plants vs. Filters

Christopher

Reaction score
If i got live plants could they replace the fliter or does a filter still have to be in.

One more thing i am getting another tank after mothers day and i wanted to know if puting plants in the tank would speed up the cycling

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plants can't replace the filter. They will just help to clean up the water a bit but you need a filter to convert ammonia to nitrite and so on.
I have no clue if plants will speed up the cycle.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
LOL, perhaps in theory, if you had so many plants and so well growing that they'd completely do a filter's job ... lol why not. But seriously now, I wouldn't risk it not having a filter!

Christopher

Reaction score
i wasn't going to i was just wondering

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
;D

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Filters help remove the physical waste from the water. Plants can absorb excess nutrients, nitrates, etc, but a filter still works best for removing anything a plant won't use. The bacteria can and do establish themselves outside of the filter - that's just a major source/home of them in the standard aquarium.

If you already have plants that have bacteria establish on them, it can help kickstart the cycling process.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The filter also moves the water around and introduces more oxygen to the water for your fish.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads