Plants vs. Filters

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Christopher, May 10, 2006.

1. ChristopherNew MemberMember

If i got live plants could they replace the fliter or does a filter still have to be in.

One more thing i am getting another tank after mothers day and i wanted to know if puting plants in the tank would speed up the cycling ;)

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Plants can't replace the filter. They will just help to clean up the water a bit but you need a filter to convert ammonia to nitrite and so on.
    I have no clue if plants will speed up the cycle.

3. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

LOL, perhaps in theory, if you had so many plants and so well growing that they'd completely do a filter's job ... lol why not. But seriously now, I wouldn't risk it not having a filter!

4. ChristopherNew MemberMember

i wasn't going to i was just wondering

5. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

6. MarcWell Known MemberMember

Filters help remove the physical waste from the water. Plants can absorb excess nutrients, nitrates, etc, but a filter still works best for removing anything a plant won't use. The bacteria can and do establish themselves outside of the filter - that's just a major source/home of them in the standard aquarium.

If you already have plants that have bacteria establish on them, it can help kickstart the cycling process.

7. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The filter also moves the water around and introduces more oxygen to the water for your fish.
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice