Plants vs Chlorine

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by oysterstu, Dec 16, 2012.

1. oysterstu

oysterstu New Member Member

when i searched, i didn't see any direct threads about this. My apologies if it has been answered and i end up sucking at finding clarification.

What concerns do Plants have with water that includes chlorine or chloramine? How long of a tolerance would they have?
    does a de-chlorinator or conditioner need to always be used?

When adding plants should they be rinsed? and does it need to be conditioned water for a light rinse?

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I've wondered about this too. I've always just Primed any new water that I'm holding plants in. I do however, rinse new plants in straight tap water. Just a little isn't going to hurt, and it helps kill the undesirables (snails and eggs).

3. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I don't think it affects them.

You water all house plants with tap water don't you? Water your garden with tap water?

I just assume it's safe to rinse, submerse in it. I may be wrong, but that's my reasoning.

4. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

That's my thought as well, but at the same time, aquarium plants are reletively expensive compared to house plants, so I've yet to try it lol I actually give my house plants old tank water.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I know some people that condition the water for their house plants. Really depends on the plant. When I had my venus fly traps and succulents, I used tank water because the chlorine in the tap water burned the roots.

6. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I won't use water at work on my plants, it's high in chlorine.

If you're worried about aquatic plants use the Prime when adding water like you would with fish.

If you're refering to a bleach dip, go easy on the bleach because it can kill your plants. I lost plants by not measuring properly.

7. OP
    OP
    oysterstu

oysterstu New Member Member

any Best developed practices to reduce the chance of bringing home snails or cyanobacteria from your LFS when buying plants?

Ive recommended to rinse them prior to adding to aquariums..i'm unsure if there is a better answer.

8. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I think the best thing is potassium permanganate.  

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice