Plants Turning Brown

Greg7

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a few plants with leaves turning brown. They are about a month or two old. The original ones that were in there were doing amazing (grew alot and had roots and smaller leaves growing off of them). Some I pulled off and planted them elsewhere in the tank and they are doing fine. But then all of the sudden alot of the plants started turning brown and dying. So my remedy was to pull all the bad ones out and replace them with new ones.

The new ones were good for 2 months but now they are starting to turn brown. Seems to start at the base and work it's way up.

I dose with seachem flourish and flourish Excel. Was using root tabs bit was told these plants get their ferts from water column.
Temp is usually around 78.
No nitrate/nitrites or ammonia
pH is 8.0
Gh 80
Kh 240
Use a pinch of Malawi buffer
Refractometer reads 1.04

Gravel substrate
Led hood light 12hrs/day(not sure of wattage but I'm sure it's not enough)
The two plants in the corner furthest from the light seem better than the rest though.

Attachments

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like java fern? And it looks like you’ve buried the rhizome, they should be above substrate, on a rock or wood or something. Is the one on the right water sprite? Same thing, roots shouldn’t be buried.

Albifrons

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could try Flourish Extract, it's really helpful when you dose it in conjunction with Flourish and Flourish Excel. 12 hrs a day seems a bit much to me, I only do 7 1/2 hours, and my plants do quite well with that. I myself find that I can't keep anything too exotic alive for very long, things like ludwigia die within a couple weeks in my tank. So I just stick to swords, ferns, anubias, my most "exotic" plant (if you could call it that) rotala. I also agree with wtfish, java ferns don't do well with their rhyzome in substrate.

Greg7

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes they are Java Fern. The one on the right i can't remember the name of. I'll unbury them and see if they do better thanks! I kinda knew they shouldn't be buried but thought I could get away with a little burying to hold them down.

Kay 240

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try tying them to a rock or anything that sinks. I'm not good at tying thread well enough to prevent my fish from untying the knots so I use rubber bands. In a few weeks the bands break and you can pick them out but the java fern has attached itself to the object or gravel

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom