Plants Turning Brown

Vicki Vanstone

Reaction score
I just upgraded to a 10 gallon and put live plants. They are turning brown and I lost 4 of my fish. my water was tested and is fine. I replaced my filter today. Maybe I should take the plants out? I never had this problem in my smaller tank with the fake plants. I don't want to lose anymore fish. Any advice ? Uploaded pictures, but my camera isn't very good.

Attachments

Vicki Vanstone

Reaction score
Nitrate 20
Nitrate between 0 and .5
Hardness 150
Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 120
pH 7.2

It's been cycling for about a month.
I have led lights and I bought blue led for the last hour at night before I turn it off for sleep.

I just replaced the filter. I rinsed it off needle I put it in, per the directions. I don't know what seed the filter means, sorry.

I am having more algae too, so I bought another snail. I had 2 but they aren't moving very much since I changed tanks. It has been a hard transition. I took better pictures.

Attachments

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those don look that bad at all really! You probably just need your basic ferts is all; macro and micro nutrients, since it sounds like you have a good light. Give it some more time, and pretty sure those Swirds will turn out fine. I strongly suggest API and Flourish root tabs.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Clip 'em off ASAP, before the plant can use 'em up for other leaves' nutrients. And not to mention make a mess lo Whenever you see a leaf start to go bad, clip it off right away.

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey - just wanted to add that if these are indeed Java Ferns you can’t keep them buried in the gravel - it’ll kill them in the long run. Try and have a small rock or a piece of driftwood you can attach the plant to - just use some sewing thread and attach the base of the fern to the rock / wood.

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So you know if you're led LED light is rated for plants ? Not all LED lights are the same.

To the filter.. you usually want to keep the bacteria alive and cultured in the filter.
So say if you changed it out completely you would lose a majority of the cycle.

Also when you add new plants sometimes they are in shock from being messed with.
It may take a little while for them to perk up.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom