Plants turn transparent....

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by fishnewbie687, Aug 9, 2015.

1. fishnewbie687

fishnewbie687Valued MemberMember

I've had my plants for at least over three weeks. I have bacopa caroliniana and water wisteria. The water wisteria is doing well so far but alot of the bacopa turns tranparent from the bottom up. What is the cause of this? Is it still acclimating? Or a deficiency?

I have had them floating to promote root growth. I dose comprehensive twice a week. I am using two fluorescent bulbs (6500k). Any help will be appreciated.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

Do you use any ferts? What is your pH, hardness, and temp? What kind of lights and how far off the tank are they?

3. OP
    OP
    fishnewbie687

I dose comprehensive twice a week. My ph is 8.4. I use two fluorescent bulbs (6500k).

4. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

5. OP
    OP
    fishnewbie687

These are the bacopa. It looks like a mild calcium deficiency.

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    fishnewbie687

But at least it could just be still acclimating right?

7. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

It could be still acclimating. 8.4 is very high for most plants. Usually a high pH is an indicator of a high hardness so unless you have numbers I cannot say whether or not it is a calcium deficiency.

I for one have a pH of 7.4 and a very low KH/GH of 3-4 degrees. My plants do suffer from calcium deficiency resulting in poor stunted/slow growth and small new leaves.
    When I first got my plants a few, namely the hygro and wisteria, did go transparent and die from the bottom up. From what I understand, this is because the roots were taking too long to grow into the substrate and the plant was not getting enough nutrients. Or the roots aren't getting enough nutrients from the substrate.

Not sure if that was helpful, good luck!

8. OP
    OP
    fishnewbie687

This helps, I appreciate it!