Plants - Too crowded?

CoolCoryCatz

Just got some new plants and wanted people’s opinions on the general look of things. This is my only tank it’s a 20 gallon long and I’ve been happy with it but I’m afraid I may have gone overboard. Any thoughts, tips, or recommendations are welcome as well as generally anything else related to the tank. I can attach better/closer photos if anyone asks! Thank you very much!

Attachments

• B2BF544E-6011-4D60-B271-4982E6D64240.jpeg
    B2BF544E-6011-4D60-B271-4982E6D64240.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 65

Darthmoli

Dang I wish I had found a driftwood piece like that! Thats one of the coolest pieces I've seen. I am biased towards heavily planted tanks so I always think you can add more :D but I think your tank looks great! Have you decided what fish to put in there yet?

MaximumRide14

Woahhh that looks amazing! Love that driftwood too. Personally I like the look of a full tank, so that looks great to me. Do you have any fish in there?

CoolCoryCatz

Dang I wish I had found a driftwood piece like that! Thats one of the coolest pieces I've seen. I am biased towards heavily planted tanks so I always think you can add more :D but I think your tank looks great! Have you decided what fish to put in there yet?
MaximumRide14 as well! I have 6 julii corys, 6 longfin zebra danios, and a peacock gudgeon! They are all very happy and I love watching them :) I think I have an obvious blank spot near my sword and anacharis and I think I may switch out the anacharis for something a little more showy. So if anyone has any recommendations I’d be happy to hear them! Thank you guys so much for the compliments :]

Yeoy

I don't think that it's overboard at all. It looks like a solid amount of live plants/wood and a good amount of livestock too! Your layout looks really good. You could always try a small floating plant in the middle if you wanted to break things up.

CoolCoryCatz

I don't think that it's overboard at all. It looks like a solid amount of live plants/wood and a good amount of livestock too! Your layout looks really good. You could always try a small floating plant in the middle if you wanted to break things up.
That’s an interesting idea! What kind of floating plants are you thinking about?

Yeoy

That’s an interesting idea! What kind of floating plants are you thinking about?
I'm not sure what's available where you are. You'd probably want one specific plant like a type of floating riccia or guppy grass etc... rather than something like duckweed or frogbit which could roam the tank a lot more.

Or you could try planting something like a dwarf aquarium lily in the middle and you'd get a few lilypads floating in the middle there. Otherwise you could check your LFS or online and see what's available near you that floats. I find most fish enjoy some sort of floating cover too.

bollshot

I firmly believe that one can never go overboard when planting plants. Of course, there will come a time where you will need to do frequent ample trimming as they grow and you replant :) Nice tank!

CoolCoryCatz

I'm not sure what's available where you are. You'd probably want one specific plant like a type of floating riccia or guppy grass etc... rather than something like duckweed or frogbit which could roam the tank a lot more.

Or you could try planting something like a dwarf aquarium lily in the middle and you'd get a few lilypads floating in the middle there. Otherwise you could check your LFS or online and see what's available near you that floats. I find most fish enjoy some sort of floating cover too.
Aha! I do have a red tiger lotus right behind my big piece of wood however I’ve been trimming anything it shoots to the top since I’m trying to train it to grow bushier. I’ll definitely look into those other floaters thank you!

Strider1520

I think it looks great! Very nice looking!!!!

Magua

Definitely not overboard...definitely gorgeous and a GREAT home for your finned friends. I have frog bit floating in mine and love the long roots. My Julii corys LOVE taking good care of those roots and I love that they encourage the corys to use the whole tank, not just the bottom.

Would love to see more pictures. Is there driftwood in the back too (or maybe that's reflection)?

CoolCoryCatz

Definitely not overboard...definitely gorgeous and a GREAT home for your finned friends. I have frog bit floating in mine and love the long roots. My Julii corys LOVE taking good care of those roots and I love that they encourage the corys to use the whole tank, not just the bottom.
Thank you and that’s such a great point about the juliis! Glad I could find another Julii lover :)

Mudminnow

To my eyes, your tank has about a medium amount of plants. It looks nice, and leaving some open sand for the cory cats is a good idea. Most of my tanks have had heavy plantings including carpeting plants. The thing is, fish like cory cats and many loaches seem to struggle a bit with such heavy planting. They have to forcefully plunge their heads down into the plants to get food--which isn't very natural. So, yes, I think it is possible to overplant given specific fishes' needs. But, I don't think you're close to that yet.

JLAquatics

I agree to Mudminnow's response completely. Your tank contains a medium amount of plants. This is a tank I would consider heavily planted.

0721210913_2 (1).jpg
However, this 29 gallon setup does not contain many bottom feeders.

I honestly think that your setup could support more tall plants towards the back, but I would avoid any dense carpeting plants that will cover all the sand over and force your cories to plunge through a ton of plants just to find food. It also disrupts their natural behavior too. Going with a tank with a large open area in the front for the Cories while letting the other plants grow in the back some more will give you the best results; A stable ecosystem with an area for the bottom feeders to hang out and forage. Having the dense cover in the back also helps your schoolers and other mid water swimmers as it gives them a place to refuge in. It is a myth that more hiding spots drives a fish into hiding more often, the tank shown above is living proof of that.

Nice setup btw, friend! I think it will be a stunner once it grows in a little more. Patience is key in planted tanks. :)

Basil

Very nice!!! Not too many plants at all.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CoconutTheBetta
Replies
Views
airdog44
  • Question
Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies