Plants To Stock My Aquarium With

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by RyleighJ, Apr 9, 2017.

1. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

Hi! I know there are a million threads like this, but I'm looking for some suggestions on what kind of plants I should use to stock my aquarium.

Right now, I have a 10 gallon with a fancy-tail goldfish, a mystery snail, and an African clawed frog. (I know this is too much for my little 10gal, but I'm planning on moving everything but my frog to a bigger tank in the next month). I also know that all of these guys are destructive towards plants, but I've accepted that. Part of the reason I got the plants I have now is for them to munch on.

Anyways, I'm looking for hearty plants that will grow quickly and be relatively easy to care for. I'd like both tall and short plants. It would also be really cool if I could find some kind of plant, like a moss, that would completely cover the bottom of my aquarium. I'd also really appreciate care tips along with suggestions of plants.

Thanks everyone! :)

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Mystery snails aren't destructive to plants unless they're starving. I feed mine veggies daily and they leave my plants alone.

I wouldn't keep the ACF with the goldfish, even in a bigger tank. What size tank are you getting in the future?

With goldies, I would try Anubias and Java fern. They'll eat a lot of other things! Duckweed and anacharis are very fast growing, but they're quite delicious to goldies.

Unfortunately, most of the time, planted tanks and goldies don't work out.

3. FishWhishes

FishWhishes New Member Member

Personally, my amazon sword grew quickly and has been super easy to care for (all I did was plant it in the tank and it went from there). Every time its leaves start to wilt I just pick them off and it grows new ones; so maybe if the fish eat the leaves it'll just regrow new ones.

4. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

I'm planning on leaving my ACF alone in the ten gallon and moving my snail and goldfish to the new tank.

I think it's a 20 gallon, but I'm not sure We bought it from a yard sale awhile ago and it's been sitting in my basement for quite a bit, and I recently cleaned it out and I'm going to set it up as soon as I have the money to get new substrate and whatnot. It's a hexagonal tank, so I'm having trouble gauging the volume of it. I'm pretty sure somewhere between a 10 and a 20, at least.

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you measure the dimensions? ACFs get too large for 10 gals, and it may be too large for this hex tank as well.

6. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

I ended up calculating it out, and it's a 15 gallon. I'm not going to keep my ACF in his little 10 gallon for too long. Whenever I have the spare cash, I'm going to get him a bigger tank. What size do you recommend? And would it be a good idea to get him another ACF buddy?

7. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Petco is having their dollar per gallon sale right now, great way to get a bigger tank. Don't know about adf, but for fancy goldfish you would be looking at minimum of 30 gallons.

Plants... no moss and Goldie's... they eat it more then any other plant, and it shreds and gets stuck in the filter... trust me on this :)
    My Goldie's don't bother my Amazon swords (way too big for either of your current tanks anyway, smallest tank for them would a 29, needs both height and width). I also have Java fern, ludwigia, wisteria, anacharis, vals (corkscrew and jungle) and crypt wendtii in with them... however, I also have tons of hornwort and cambomba that I use as "distraction" plants for eating... if I forget to add more they snack on the wisteria a bit (grows fast for me though so no great loss). Others on here say their Goldie's don't touch hornwort... personal preference I guess :)
    Anubias are good for them as well.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

I'll definitely check out Petco's sale! How long does it last? I've also had my eye of Craigslist and yard sales for a set with everything included.

I bought my goldfish years ago when I thought 10 gallons was more than enough for him, and my ACF was an impulse buy (which I know you should never do), but I couldn't resist. He's so cute, and he only has three legs, so I felt bad for him, especially since the people at my lfs said he'd been there so long

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice