Plants to compliment duckweed

LanceDog

Looking for some plants to go w/ duckweed. I got a 20 gal high with a couple snails, a clown pleco, and a quickly dying colony of ghost shrimp (maybe have 5? of the original 40 from the description in my profile -idk if they died or what but their numbers have gone down). In Feburary I got a low light plant kit from aquatic arts w/ java moss, java fern, moneywort, anubias and moss balls. I added some duckweed to assist with the low light but now my duckweed has choked the tank and killed my moneywort, java moss and the java fern isn't looking too hot either. The anubias is doing fine and I have some mystery hornwort that is slowly growing. I want some plants to add because without the java moss the tank is bare. I have a few large anubias plants and a small baby group of anubias on lava rock. I am not getting rid of the duckweed. Eventually I want to get some neo shrimp as my ghost shrimp die off. I have a stray neo in that tank already that has survived all this time so I feel the tank should be all right for them.

I do have some large floating plants in my ten gal I could add. It may be pond lettuce- I thought it was frogbit but these plants are now six inches or more in width.

I use Thrive and API Co2 booster.

Basil

I’m not sure there are any plants that will grow well without some light. Although I like the duckweed in my tanks, I’ve found it necessary to remove some of it each week. Otherwise, it does exactly what you described; it blocks all the other plants from getting adequate light.
And when I remove it, I always bag it and throw it in the trash so it doesn’t escape to any local waterways.

Upvote 0

LanceDog

That's what I've been having to do with every water change (removing some from the top). I definitely want to keep the duckweed since from what I understand, clown plecos do well with low light. Some light does get thru from the surface which is how I assume the anubias has been surviving.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Otomatic
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Planting Ideas
Replies
Views
Otomatic
Replies
Views