Plants That Need More Recognition

WetRootsNH

Hey all,
I think it would be fun/ useful to give some appreciation to plants that are under utilized in our community.
So, outside of your typical anubias, java fern, dwarf lily but still pretty easy and not too expensive so that just about anyone could pick it up and start growing it but still have something more unique.
Try and explain any info you may have about it and provide enticing pics!
I'll start with one of my favorites:
Ranunculus Inundatus.
First, its name sounds like a spell from Harry Potter.
Common name: River buttercup
It grows into a semi-carpet in higher light and throws up little bumbershoots in lower light.
I have grown it in normal blasting sand with a very occasional root tab with medium light and I have grown it in high light in a dirted tank with CO2.
Pics in my second post because fishlore is being funny about me attaching photos right now for some reason...

WetRootsNH

In all of its glory:
Ranunculus inundatus
20170917_175048.jpg

20181205_163314.jpg

20170407_204844.jpg

JamieXPXP

there are tons of amazing plants that need more recognition then they get. I'm not too familiar with plants but I feel like some sub species of popular/common plants should get more attention

Suzanne2

ghostlybosun said:
In all of its glory:
Ranunculus inundatus
20170917_175048.jpg

20181205_163314.jpg

20170407_204844.jpg
That looks awesome! I've never seen a plant with those interesting leaf shapes underwater. Reminds me of cilantro or some other herbs.

WetRootsNH

Suzanne2 said:
That looks awesome! I've never seen a plant with those interesting leaf shapes underwater. Reminds me of cilantro or some other herbs.
Now that you mention it there's a certain similarity to cilantro, almost a thinner version of its leaf shape.
Super easy to grow and that bunching in the photo is all from it's natural growth pattern not from me forcing it to do so (runners)

-Mak-

Bucephalandra!!

It's definitely getting more popular but in my opinion it is one of the most beautiful plants in the hobby. Similar care to anubias, but given higher light (and CO2 and ferts are highly beneficial), depending on variety it can appear blue, purple, red, pink, black, and a few rare varieties are silver.

Another one is Nymphoides hydrophylla "taiwan" with a similar appearance to banana plants, but with in my opinion a prettier and more delicate looking leaf. Minus the bananas. Very low light friendly and prolific. I think the only reason it hasn't caught on is it melts when moved, without exception.

WetRootsNH

-Mak- said:
Bucephalandra!!

It's definitely getting more popular but in my opinion it is one of the most beautiful plants in the hobby. Similar care to anubias, but given higher light (and CO2 and ferts are highly beneficial), depending on variety it can appear blue, purple, red, pink, black, and a few rare varieties are silver.

Another one is Nymphoides hydrophylla "taiwan" with a similar appearance to banana plants, but with in my opinion a prettier and more delicate looking leaf. Minus the bananas. Very low light friendly and prolific, the only reason I think it hasn't caught on is it melts when moved, without exception.
https://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Nymphoideshydrophylla'Taiwan'(041B)/4462
Buce is a good one! I remember that just a couple years ago it had insane pricing but now you can find them pretty cheap (depending on the variety). They can also flower submersed just like anubias. Very cool. I have been slowly growing a buce bonsaI in my tank; very slowly.
Nymphoides hydrophylla "taiwan" is new to me, looks gorgeous. I'd imagine it would work well in a jungle style tank.
I have found that bulb plants can be deceiving, you sometimes get an explosion of growth and you think it's doing really well when really it's just using up the energy in the bulb. Nothing ferts doesn't fix though.

aussieJJDude

My two favs:

Fissidens moss <<< a extremely compact moss, good for nano aquariums. If tied to stone/large flat decor you could grow a carpet of it.

In particular, Fissidens fontanus:

Anubias barterI var. nana petite 'white' (or abbreviated to anubias 'white') and anubias barterI var. nana 'golden' (golden anubias) would also be top contenders. They do great as a focal/contrast plant not only with other anubias - anubias only tank anyone - but also with other plants. Many of the more uncommon anubias are totally underrated and need some love. They easy to keep, but very much an impact!
White anubias:

Golden anubias:

-Mak-

ghostlybosun said:
I have found that bulb plants can be deceiving, you sometimes get an explosion of growth and you think it's doing really well when really it's just using up the energy in the bulb. Nothing ferts doesn't fix though.
Interestingly, and probably what makes "taiwan" different from other lilies, is it actually does not grow from a bulb. It is a rosette plant, so it has no energy stores. Under good light, CO2, and ferts, mine grew an inch a day.

WetRootsNH

-Mak- said:
Interestingly, and probably what makes "taiwan" different from other lilies, is it actually does not grow from a bulb. It is a rosette plant, so it has no energy stores. Under good light, CO2, and ferts, mine grew an inch a day.
Definitely gonna have to check that out. I've been thinking of picking up some Brazilian pennywort maybe this would fill a similar roll.

JamieXPXP

Crypt Retrospiralis I feel needs some more attention, its a very gorgeous and tall plant. it has the same care requirements as the other crypts but the appearance is nicer and stands out to me. just grows tall so isn't the best for smaller tanks unless you want a sort of overgrown look
I really love the ruffled look of the thin leaves and bright green. I haven't had mine for very long so there is still some filling out to be done but once they are all grown in they will look gorgeous. its cheap but expensive looking. you can find some really good pics of them on google to get a better idea.

20181212_163727.jpg

20181212_163737.jpg

bizaliz3

Aponogeton boivinianus!!!! This one is barely a month old and just getting started! It was nothing but a bulb a few weeks ago.
20181211_083643.jpg

ahouseofscales

Ruffled leaf amazon swords are really beautiful in a simple way! Long, light green, slightly wavy leaves and tends to grow pretty quickly under decent lighting. I especially love this variety, but I honestly just love all amazon swords in general.

bitseriously

Limnophilia sessiliflora.
I have it in 2 tanks, both low tech (decent light, no co2 or excel, string fert regimen).
It has a really bright almost reflective nature. I get maybe 1” every 2-3 days, awesome for low tech. Spreads prolifically by runners, but they’re easy to cut and pull, and they replant really well. When it reaches the surface it gets a slight reddish hue in the centre of the whorls.

10 gallon, it’s all the bright green.

3A13DD2E-6981-4240-9762-BB69D66F2845.jpeg

33 gallon, it’s the round whorls of bright green, and some mixed in with water sprite at left, and one set in front over the anubias.

5675A8F0-6754-4402-AB0A-67612AAD942B.jpeg

WetRootsNH

bitseriously said:
Limnophilia sessiliflora.
I have it in 2 tanks, both low tech (decent light, no co2 or excel, string fert regimen).
It has a really bright almost reflective nature. I get maybe 1” every 2-3 days, awesome for low tech. Spreads prolifically by runners, but they’re easy to cut and pull, and they replant really well. When it reaches the surface it gets a slight reddish hue in the centre of the whorls.

10 gallon, it’s all the bright green.

3A13DD2E-6981-4240-9762-BB69D66F2845.jpeg

33 gallon, it’s the round whorls of bright green, and some mixed in with water sprite at left, and one set in front over the anubias.

5675A8F0-6754-4402-AB0A-67612AAD942B.jpeg
I like Limnophilia Sessiliflora a lot and wish I could have it. Alas, it's illegal in my state (probably because it's just so gosh darn good a growing!)
Anyone with an interest in it that has similar circumstances: you can look to see if it's all Limnophilia or just specifically that one.
I have Limnophilia Aquatica in my tank and it's legal here, grows great, and is fairly similar looking.

Vishaquatics

One of the most underrated plants IMO is Ludwigia Repens. It is such a beautiful plant, and it is so colorful. It is red, green, and orange all at the same time. It is great for lowtech tanks, midtech tanks, and high tech tanks. It grows insanely fast (faster than my water wisteria) and sends off so many sideshoots that you could start with one stem and have 12 by the end of the month. I often put it in new cycling tanks because it is great at sucking up nutrients. I would compare the growth rate of this plant to anacharis and hornwort.

Lastly, it develops iridescence in high light scenarios and the leafs literally shine. The glare you see in the photos is not from the light, but it literally shines off the leaf's waxy coating.
_DSC1190.JPG

IMG_4277.JPG

IMG_8841.JPG

WetRootsNH

Vishaquatics (Koiman) said:
One of the most underrated plants IMO is Ludwigia Repens. It is such a beautiful plant, and it is so colorful. It is red, green, and orange all at the same time. It is great for lowtech tanks, midtech tanks, and high tech tanks. It grows insanely fast (faster than my water wisteria) and sends off so many sideshoots that you could start with one stem and have 12 by the end of the month. I often put it in new cycling tanks because it is great at sucking up nutrients. I would compare the growth rate of this plant to anacharis and hornwort.

Lastly, it develops iridescence in high light scenarios and the leafs literally shine. The glare you see in the photos is not from the light, but it literally shines off the leaf's waxy coating.
_DSC1190.JPG

IMG_4277.JPG

IMG_8841.JPG
Gorgeous pics!

Top Bottom