Plants That Can Survive Heat?

Splunji

So I have a koi pond, and I would like them to have some more shade than they already have, as well as have some natural filtration/aeration/food source, as well as help them from getting sun burned, but I live on an island. Temperatures here get up to 118 degrees (even this summer). I tried some water lettuce but that was completely destroyed by the sun, and dried up quickly.

Any suggestions on what plants I can get that can take the heat of Arizona?

angelcraze

Splunji said:
So I have a koi pond, and I would like them to have some more shade than they already have, as well as have some natural filtration/aeration/food source, as well as help them from getting sun burned, but I live in Arizona. Temperatures here get up to 118 degrees (even this summer). I tried some water lettuce but that was completely destroyed by the sun, and dried up quickly.

Any suggestions on what plants I can get that can take the heat of Arizona?
Are there any taller plants you can grow around the pond for shade? Sorry i'm not sure landscaping in Arizona.

Otherwise I would maybe try something underwater instead of on the surface. Possibly anacharis? Or another easy type stem?

Pfrozen

angelcraze said:
Are there any taller plants you can grow around the pond for shade? Sorry i'm not sure landscaping in Arizona.

Otherwise I would maybe try something underwater instead of on the surface. Possibly anacharis? Or another easy type stem?
This is a great idea. I think you'll need to set up some kind of shade over your pond too. You can find lists of heat tolerant plants pretty easily but I doubt you'll see anything that specifically says "up to 120F." I think you'll have to shade the pond and add heat tolerant plants trial/error style

Splunji

Pfrozen said:
This is a great idea. I think you'll need to set up some kind of shade over your pond too. You can find lists of heat tolerant plants pretty easily but I doubt you'll see anything that specifically says "up to 120F." I think you'll have to shade the pond and add heat tolerant plants trial/error style
Yeah, I have a giant tree right next to the pond, and another one maybe 20 feet on the otherside. One will cover the sun when it's in the west, and the other when it's in the east. Just something in the middle of the day. However, I may do anacharis. That looks like a good plant.

angelcraze

The anacharis can float freely in the tank but it floats and sinks depending on temp or light (i forget look it up). But it's a great oxygenating plant if the water is warm and o2 depletes a bit.

Also maybe a sun shade for midi (directly above). Or until you can find a taller heat tolerant plant you can plant closer and more directly over the pond.

Latest threads

Top Bottom