Plants sprouting roots from everywhere

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tank has been running for about a month now. I got a package of plants from a online shop, most have done really well and some didn't make it. If anyone could answer the filling questions that would be great.

Some of the smaller foreground plants have some brown leaves, should I cut them off?
Some of the background plants have sprouted roots from the bottom up to about 3/4 of the way up the stem roughly 10 inches, a couple of them have recurs the substrate, should I cut them off?
Most of the backgroung stem plants have reached the top of the tank and are bent and laying just under the surface should I cut the back?

Sounds like I just want to hack away at my plants.

Thanks
Paul

michael68

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would prune the brown leaves,but i dont think i would touch the roots,i think alot of roots is a good thing.Do you fertilize your plants?

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They had fertaliszr in the substrate when I planted them about a month ago and they have had liquid fertalizer every week. What about the plants that are too big?

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cut the top of the stems in the back and replant the top. They will grow new roots. Do you know the names of the plants? (Just to make sure this is the type of plant you can do this with!)

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know the names of the top of my head, they are stem plants if that helps?

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know the names of the top of my head, they are stem plants if that helps?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can post a photo of the plants would be a great help.

Most stem plants can have the top trimmed off & replanted like Nate said. Do not trim the roots of any of the plants. The nodal roots are important on plants that grow them, it is one of the main ways they suck up nutrients. Always remove dead/dying leaves from all plants. Depending on what sort of plants the are in the foreground it may be normal to have some die back or it might be a case of not enough light to grow that particular species.

If your plants are growing well, you will find yourself "hacking" at them every week or even every few days. It's important that you ID each of the plants you have so that you know what to provide for each one & how to correctly prune them. It is also good to know how the plants reproduce or how to propogate them.

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've got the names on the invoice, I'll cross reference them and see what I can/can't do. I've got 80 watts in 180 liters is that enough?

thanks for the advice

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't say if that's enough light without knowing exactly what kind of plants you are trying to grow I'm afraid. I would say you have intense enough light to grow low-med light requirement plants. The exact tubes (spectral output), you use will influence how much light you need to grow certain plants as well.

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks nutter I'll have to do a bit of research, the info I got from the plant co. said they where easy to grow plants, I've come to learn not to believe all I am told by people you are trying to turn a profit. Once I find out what I have and what care they need I'll probably need some more answers.

Thanks again

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can have easy to care for plants but that does not mean that they don't have high light requirements, need co2 & ferts either. It just means that if you provide the proper conditions for that plant, it will be easy to look after.

Once you have the names on the plants or can post some close up pics of them for me to ID them, I'll do what I can to provide you with detailed care information on them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom