plants only tank

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i would like to set up a very small (2-5 gallon) tank for only plants. i would love to buy bulbs or baby plants and have them grow. would this tank need anthing in the way of a filter? also the plants at my lfs are surely infected with snails.thanks in advance
-Jenn

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have heard of plants only tanks with no filtration. Dino could probably give you some wisdom on how to do it. Also, www.plantgeek.net is an excellent site for learning all about the types, and care of aquatic plants.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that people who raise Madascar Lace Plants have tanks dedicated to just them. FYI, a Madagascar Lace is one of the prettiest plants there is. They're very endangered in Madascar. Apparently there are almost no wild ones left, and the ones for sale in LFS's are raised locally in tanks or ponds. If you find one in a LFS you might consider raising it.

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks! all i really was wondering was if they would need any special care a plain little aquarium without filter could provide them

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
oh and only low light as both my tanks have that

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Theres no reason why you couldn't do that but I think you might need just a tiny bit of water movement to keep the water from becoming stagnant and you will have to feed the plants (fertilize) if there aren't going to be any fish in the tank.
Carol

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Also, in addition to what Butterfly wrote, you should check somewhere like plantgeek as to what plants can survive in low light. Some need pretty bright light to thrive.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At one time I had a five gallon pickle jar with aponogeton bulbs in it with a very slow bubbler going. Instead of fertilizer I did water changes with used tank water. It was really cool looking but it finally got too crowded so I dismantled it.
Carol

jenniwren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yea sounds good thanks so much! ill research and find some low light plants.. and small aqaurium and use an old bubbler! thanks again!

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry for the late arrival.
You will need some type of water movement or you will have stagnant water.
Other than that, fertilizers or water from fish tansk should be fine.
Cryptacornes would be an excellent plant as would chain swords.

Dino

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom