Plants Not Thriving/snails Dying Help

1. davecut85 Initiate Member

Hey peeps,

I've had my freshwater 30 gallon aquarium now for about a year and a half. What I've noticed is that plants have just stopped growing. They aren't quite dying, but they definitely aren't prospering. On top of that, I used to have a robust snail population which occurred by accident, but now none of them are alive.

My water change regiment was about a 20% water change every week where I also vacuumed the substrate. My population of fish is:

7 barbs
    2 panda corys
    1 gourami
    1 tetra

I think I need to up this to a 50% water change every three days, but also concerned that it may be the substrate based as it's collection of too much debris. Looking for thoughts and suggestions.

My images appear to be too big. I'll see what I can do to get them uploaded.

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

What plants do you have? Are you using a plant substrate (maybe it just ran out of nutrients and thats why they stopped growing)? Do you have any pics of the plants that are not doing that well? It would help us identify what nutrients deficiencies they are suffering.

Upload them to imgur.com and paste the link, thats what I do.

3. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

4. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Your tap water or well water parameters likely changed. Most plants and snails like hard water, a high level of carbonates specifically.

Adding something like crushed coral or cuttlebone (my go-to) will likely replenish the water with the needed minerals.

5. davecut85 Initiate Member

@BeanFish I've had the plants for the same amount of time so I can't recall exactly the names. The substrate is pebbles with white sand like gravel on the other half. I look to see if I can get some pictures up.

@Kellye8498 I use LED. By ferts, are you referring to wattage or power? I don't use CO2 but actually just heard of people using this recently in planted aquariums. It keeps algae down and benefits the plants?

@MikeRad89 We use city water as we're not on a well. I typically just add dechlorinator to the mix.

6. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Municipal water is more likely to change as its often taken from a variety of sources. Well water is more stable.

If you're seeing issues in your inverts and plants I'd just go ahead and add cuttlebone or crushed coral. Almost definitely due to a low KH from a new water source.

7. Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

By ferts, they most likely mean fertilizer. Just like terrestrial plants, aquatic plants need food and "vitamins" to grow. There are liquid ferts you can buy at most pet stores.