Plants Not Looking So Healthy Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by LoganKarl, May 13, 2019.

1. LoganKarl

LoganKarlValued MemberMember

Hey there. I am looking for advice as to what my plants may be lacking. My tank is about 4 months old. After the first few weeks of going through melting and algae growth my plants started to look great and healthy. But now I am starting to get small dead spots on leaves. Like little burn holes and over all not as green and healthy looking as before. Based on the deficiency list posted to this area I think they may be lacking potassium?

The tank is a 5g. I water chance 20-30% every week and dose 1ml secream flourish. My substrate is 2" of gold green potting soil with a 1/2" play sand cap. Lights on timer for 9hrs everyday.

0 ammonia
    0 nitires
    20 nitrate
    7.8 ph

Any suggestions on how to get these plants in good health?

Attached Files:

2. guppynubis

guppynubisValued MemberMember

there is no problem with your setup..do you change your lighting?..from my experience,small leave plant need high light..big leave one need low light..plant itself need time to familiar with new change parameters..either lighting,temperature or fert..if not lighting problem,it may fertiliser..the successful farmer because of their fert..have a nice day

3. Shannon529

Shannon529Valued MemberMember

I'm actually on this side of the forums for my own plant questions, but what I can say is maybe part of it is a lighting issue? I read that some plants require a 12 hour light cycle. Maybe the 3 hours would make a difference? I think the seachem flourish has iron in it, so I assume you are good there. If not, they have the Seachem Iron as well. Try the seachem flourish potassium? It could also be that there isn't enough co2? Hopefully someone who knows more can help out!

4. guppynubis

guppynubisValued MemberMember

if seachem fert,I only recommend for seachem advance..hard to get but all plant look good by the first week..new root and new leave...or easy way is find water lily tablet,no shrimp and guppy die by using this fert..im using seachem advance for new plant..and water lily tablet per 2 week..don't over fert them..

5. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Seachem Flourish is really low on potassium and has basically no nitrogen and phosphorus. These three nutrients are needed the most by plants. I recommend getting an all in one fertilizer like UNS Plant Food or Nilocg Thrive. I don't believe it's a lighting issue, 9 hours is more than enough, lots of people do 8.

6. OP
    OP
    LoganKarl

Thank you for all the reply's! I will get better fert and see if that helps. Also i have read that lots of people do good with around 9 hours of light. I used to have it going for 11 hours but I was starting to get hair algae so I reduced the time and the algae went away. Could it be from the intensity of my light source?

This is the light i am running.

https://www.amazon.com/WOTERZI-Aqua...aquarium+led&qid=1557856491&s=gateway&sr=8-14

I also have a a cheap LED bulb in a regular clip on desk lamp

7. Vishaquatics

VishaquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Lighting is not really the issue here. The first one is nutrients. As mentioned by @-Mak- seachem flourish has basically no nutrients. Get a comprehensive fertilizer like Thrive which has all necessary nutrients in adequate amounts.

8. OP
    OP
    LoganKarl

Great thanks for the info. Should I use the flourish along side a fert like thrive? Or just stop using it. What is it’s purpose if it doesn’t have much in it?

My LFS has very limited aquarium supplies so I have to order pretty much everything online. I should have done a bit more research when picking up a fertilizer.

9. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

It has a good variety of micronutrients but lacks some macronutrients. Thrive has the micronutrients plants need but there's no harm in dosing a little bit of flourish once a week, it has a teensy tiny bit of chlorine and cobalt which Thrive doesn't have.

10. OP
    OP
    LoganKarl

Thanks, I will order some and see what happens!