Plants not growing

SuperSword48

I have a 20 gallon tank with some Java moss, hornwort, Anubias and Java fern in it. For a light I use a finnex. I started with just dosing flourish excel but switched to using thrive c after learning flourish excel didn’t have all the nutrients plants need. I add only one ML in the tank because of the high nitrates but I used to dose 2. Nothing seems to be growing, especially the hornwort which shed and hasn’t recovered any needles. Everything looks green and healthy but it’s just not growing. Is more thrive c needed or could it be something else? And if I need to add more thrive c will I need to do more then one water change?

carsonsgjs

The java fern, moss and anubias are pretty slow growers, so don’t expect too much rapid growth from them. They also dont need massive doses of ferts either so take it easy on those too.

altermac

How long do you have the aquarium lights turned on? Should be around 12+h in summer. Does not need to be super bright.

Nitrates should be not more than 20ppm. Thats enough. Your plants will not use surplus fertilizer.

SuperSword48

The java fern, moss and anubias are pretty slow growers, so don’t expect too much rapid growth from them. They also dont need massive doses of ferts either so take it easy on those too.
Thank you! I’m mainly concerned with the hornwort cause it’s been a month since they lost their needles. Do you know if that’s normal?
How long do you have the aquarium lights turned on? Should be around 12+h in summer. Does not need to be super bright.

Nitrates should be not more than 20ppm. Thats enough. Your plants will not use surplus fertilizer.
My lights are on 8 hours because I dose low amounts of fertilizer and already had a run in with algae. Should I raise it up again? I do 50% water changes weekly and sometimes twice a week when they start to get above 20 at the end of a week.

JavaMossMan

Thank you! I’m mainly concerned with the hornwort cause it’s been a month since they lost their needles. Do you know if that’s normal?

My lights are on 8 hours because I dose low amounts of fertilizer and already had a run in with algae. Should I raise it up again? I do 50% water changes weekly and sometimes twice a week when they start to get above 20 at the end of a week.
Hi SuperSword48,

Hornwort is a hard water plant. If your tap water is soft it will fall apart. Check the hardness of your tap water. This can be done by purchasing a TDS meter from amazon (only a few dollars) or you can get a tetra all in one test strip. Java fern and java moss take some time to get established in a aquarium before they start taking off. How old is your aquarium and how long have the plants been in there?

mattgirl

The first 2 times I added hornwort it just melted away. I had just a few sprigs of it left. Over time it acclimated to the chemistry of my water and finally started growing. At least once a month I have to remove some from my shrimp bowl. For a while it didn't thrive in my 55 gallon tank but I have found the pieces I pull from my shrimp bowl does well in the 55.

I wasn't having much luck with many plants even though I was adding thrive C. I started adding Equilibrium to my tanks and my plants start growing. I have very soft water that is almost devoid of minerals. The equilibrium is adding the missing minerals. It takes a lot of trial and error to get our tanks balanced. Is you water soft?

JavaMossMan

The first 2 times I added hornwort it just melted away. I had just a few sprigs of it left. Over time it acclimated to the chemistry of my water and finally started growing. At least once a month I have to remove some from my shrimp bowl. For a while it didn't thrive in my 55 gallon tank but I have found the pieces I pull from my shrimp bowl does well in the 55.

I wasn't having much luck with many plants even though I was adding thrive C. I started adding Equilibrium to my tanks and my plants start growing. I have very soft water that is almost devoid of minerals. The equilibrium is adding the missing minerals. It takes a lot of trial and error to get our tanks balanced. Is you water soft?
I also have soft water and had tried hornwort in the past. Same thing happened to me where it fell apart which is why I think OP may have soft water.

barbiespoodle

Hornwort does not like me and I have hard water. I managed to save a few strand and they are floating in the panda cory cat holding tank, other wise, it melts away just to spite me.

Other wise, your other plants are slow growers. I have them all and they do grow, just give them time. They do fine in my tanks and I'm low tech, just the over head lights. I'm kind of looking forward to your post 2 years from now wondering what to do with all your java moss, lol.

mattgirl

I'm kind of looking forward to your post 2 years from now wondering what to do with all your java moss, lol.
or hear that it all turned to a brown mess and has long been forgotten :D I gave up on all types of moss but java ferns and crypts are flourishing. Well the crypts were before the rabbit snails found them to be very tasty. Rabbit snails moved to another tank and the crypts are slowly making a comeback.

SuperSword48

I will get a test strip and test my water. However the plant was doing fine for a good three or four months so it’s just puzzling lol. Also my Java moss has spread like crazy the past few months and the small pieces that break off definitely get annoying. But I do like it on my driftwood.

JavaMossMan

If you can't get hornwort to grow. Try anacharis it is similar to hornwort. Anacharis is also a hard water plant btw.

mattgirl

I will get a test strip and test my water. However the plant was doing fine for a good three or four months so it’s just puzzling lol. Also my Java moss has spread like crazy the past few months and the small pieces that break off definitely get annoying. But I do like it on my driftwood.
It is possible your hornwort didn't like the Excel. I know at one point I melted all my hornwort with a full tank dose of it. Some plant just don't do well when it is being added. Now that you are no longer using it your hornwort may make a comeback.

JavaMossMan

It is possible your hornwort didn't like the Excel. I know at one point I melted all my hornwort with a full tank dose of it. Some plant just don't do well when it is being added. Now that you are no longer using it your hornwort may make a comeback.

I think he meant flourish comprehensive as per his earlier post:

Thrive c question | Plant Fertilizer Forum | 501080

But your right some plants melt with the use of flourish excel (liquid CO2).

SuperSword48

Possibly but the first post on this thread does say flourish excel was used before switching to thrive C
I’m sorry I meant flourish comprehensive. I did use flourish excel when I had an algae problem but the hornwort didn’t shed during that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SuperSword48
  • Question
Replies
Views
SuperSword48
  • Question
Replies
Views