Plants not growing and leafs turning brown

Fishowner24

I have a crypt but i don’t know the kind and a sword and a Val and none have grew and they have been turning brown and the stems on the crypts are turning red any help on getting them to grow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 9

Frank the Fish guy

Iron in the soil
C02 gas in the water (use a DIY C02 injector)

In nature and mature aquariums, there is enough waste buildup and bio-filter to generate the C02 gas from decomposition, but in a barren tank there is just not enough C02 to support the plants so you need to supplement.

Fishowner24

Iron in the soil
C02 gas in the water (use a DIY C02 injector)

In nature and mature aquariums, there is enough waste buildup and bio-filter to generate the C02 gas from decomposition, but in a barren tank there is just not enough C02 to support the plants so you need to supplement.
I have a c02 system but idk how many bps I need

Frank the Fish guy

We use pH to estimate how much C02 has been added. Measure your pH at first. Then start adding C02. You should see the pH start to drop after a few days. You can get technical with this, but you usually will need to drop the pH about .25 to .5 points. Then wait to see if your plants get happy. I bet they will. Just go slow adding the C02 until you see the plants start to get happy. 1 bubble per second is a good start.

Some folks like to get mathematical. But you can just go for it and start seeing the plants get happier slowly. That's the best way. You get a feel for your tank.

Fishowner24

We use pH to estimate how much C02 has been added. Measure your pH at first. Then start adding C02. You should see the pH start to drop after a few days. You can get technical with this, but you usually will need to drop the pH about .25 to .5 points. Then wait to see if your plants get happy. I bet they will. Just go slow adding the C02 until you see the plants start to get happy. 1 bubble per second is a good start.

Some folks like to get mathematical. But you can just go for it and start seeing the plants get happier slowly. That's the best way. You get a feel for your tank.
Hi sorry I am late I have been busy but you will want it to drop .25-.5 from when lights turn on to turning off right? And also how do I measure that precise? And are those leafs dead?

Frank the Fish guy

Hi sorry I am late I have been busy but you will want it to drop .25-.5 from when lights turn on to turning off right? And also how do I measure that precise? And are those leafs dead?
Just use a liquid pH test kit. Test before you start any C02. Perhaps your water is pH=7.8. Then after you start C02, it should be closer to 7.0 No need to get super precise. Just watch your plants and fish and see if they are both happy.

Fishowner24

Just use a liquid pH test kit. Test before you start any C02. Perhaps your water is pH=7.8. Then after you start C02, it should be closer to 7.0 No need to get super precise. Just watch your plants and fish and see if they are both happy.
After how long will it drop to that? And also I have been using c02 for about 6 months now

Fishowner24

Oh OK. The C02 will change the pH reading in just a few days. So you can shut it off. Let the gas leave (a few days) and then measure the pH. Then turn the gas on and measure the drop after a few days. You may not have enough C02 if you have not been measuring it somehow.

Or just get a drop checker. https://www.amazon.com/FZONE-Aquati...ywords=co2+drop+checker&qid=1641787167&sr=8-3
What do you mean “You may not have enough C02 if you have not been measuring it somehow.” Also do I not need to worry about how much it drops if the c02 drop checker is always at green
Oh OK. The C02 will change the pH reading in just a few days. So you can shut it off. Let the gas leave (a few days) and then measure the pH. Then turn the gas on and measure the drop after a few days. You may not have enough C02 if you have not been measuring it somehow.

Or just get a drop checker. https://www.amazon.com/FZONE-Aquati...ywords=co2+drop+checker&qid=1641787167&sr=8-3
Also my ph is at the max of my test strip and I have no clue how to lower it.

ruud

I agree with frank.

That said, there are alternative ways to get things going in case you struggle with CO2 injection.... Such as lowering the water line and increasing water flow. And starting off not with 3 plants, but with at least 50% surface area coverage.

A cautious start with just a few plants in a big tank, is challenging....

By the way, crypt stems turning red is not necessarily an issue...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies
Views
AniketRane
Replies
Views
Bryangar
Replies