10 Gallon Tank Plants not getting enough light, need hood

Satsvsga

So I have a 10g tank with 6 fish(3 white skirt tetras, 3 zebra danios) and 1 nerite snail. I recently added some live plants, its my first time. I added 2 java ferns attached to rocks and dwarf sagittaria to the bottom. My substrate is soil. I don’t have CO2 injection but I’m using Seachem Excel at the suggested doses every day. I am also using Seachem Flourish for nutrition.

5 days to a week and my sagittaria are starting to get a yellow/brownish color. I suppose its because they don’t get enough light. I have the default hood with fluorescent lighting that came out of the kit.

I just ordered the Aqueon LED Deluxe Hood but the LED light on it seems even weaker than the fluorescent lights I was using.

I need to have a hood because I have a cat in the apartment. Do you have any recommendation on another hood with stronger light or do I need to ditch the hood?

Crimson_687

I would say get a light that is as strong as you need (LED strips are affordable and should fit under your hood) then use silicone as an adhesive. It will be aquarium safe and water resistant so evaporated water that condensed on the hood will not damage the adhesive.

you should revise your stocking though… skirt tetras get to 3 inches and would be much happier as a larger school in a 20 or 30+ gallon. As for the danios, they are a very active fish that also prefer schools and larger tanks. In smaller tanks with smaller numbers, these fish will not show optimal behavior and may become aggressive to each other. A better option for your tank would be a school of chili or kubotai rasbora, but 12-15 of these since they need larger schools for comfort. If you like danios, you could opt for a school of celestial pearl danio or danio erythromicron instead, or if you like tetras, green neon or ember tetras stay small enough for a 10gal. You could do a school of 8-12 for any of these fish, with plants and a steady water change schedule, in a 10gal. For variety, could even add a pair of sparkling gourami or a single betta that shows a good temperament. You can do shrimp and snails for added dynamic.

Upvote 0

jpaquatics

PetSmart and petco both carry 10 gallon glass lids with opening hinges to feed and such. They’re pretty cheap (less than $20 from what I remember), fit on a 10 gallon tank perfectly, and you can use whichever planted tank light you want on top of it with no issues.

Upvote 0

Satsvsga

I would say get a light that is as strong as you need (LED strips are affordable and should fit under your hood) then use silicone as an adhesive. It will be aquarium safe and water resistant so evaporated water that condensed on the hood will not damage the adhesive.

you should revise your stocking though… skirt tetras get to 3 inches and would be much happier as a larger school in a 20 or 30+ gallon. As for the danios, they are a very active fish that also prefer schools and larger tanks. In smaller tanks with smaller numbers, these fish will not show optimal behavior and may become aggressive to each other. A better option for your tank would be a school of chili or kubotai rasbora, but 12-15 of these since they need larger schools for comfort. If you like danios, you could opt for a school of celestial pearl danio or danio erythromicron instead, or if you like tetras, green neon or ember tetras stay small enough for a 10gal. You could do a school of 8-12 for any of these fish, with plants and a steady water change schedule, in a 10gal. For variety, could even add a pair of sparkling gourami or a single betta that shows a good temperament. You can do shrimp and snails for added dynamic.

Thank you for the notes! I am aware of the issues with the stocking (look at my previous post) but I can’t do anything about it. That’s what the pet store assistant suggested when I had no idea about fish tanks and wanted to set one up. I’m living in an apartment and can’t get a bigger tank. I’m trying to provide them the best conditions possible which is the best I can do atm. I’ll add shrimp

Upvote 0

RedOnion

Thank you for the notes! I am aware of the issues with the stocking (look at my previous post) but I can’t do anything about it. That’s what the pet store assistant suggested when I had no idea about fish tanks and wanted to set one up. I’m living in an apartment and can’t get a bigger tank. I’m trying to provide them the best conditions possible which is the best I can do atm. I’ll add shrimp
For a 10g tank you can get the biggest NICREW submersible light. I have it suctioned on my lid from inside and it works like a charm for all my plants plus since its submersible it is waterproof! Its under $20 and is really good imo

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
-Mak-
  • Question
Replies
Views
HorsesHamstersAndFish
Replies
Views