Plants not doing well during fishless cycle.

gabray47

I am on day 8 of a fishless cycle of a 20-gallon freshwater. I have purchased a couple java ferns and anubias nana. They have been in the tank for about a month (I put them in for a while before I added the ammonia to start the cycle), and they were doing very well. Now that the cycle has started (the tank is at 0 ppm ammonia, 2.0 ppm nitrite), the plants aren't doing well. I've read that it might be either lacking nutrients or possibly light exposure. My aquarium came with a hood with LED lights. I've been leaving them on 8-10 hours per day. I've also been dosing with flourish and some iron every few days.

I'm new to this, so I'm assuming I'll lose some plants along the way, but I want to make sure I know more about what to do as I purchase others. Any advice would be great!

Attachments

• 20220217_192055.jpg
    20220217_192055.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220217_192143.jpg
    20220217_192143.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 6

Mudminnow

Java ferns grow slow and anubias grow slower. Therefore, it can take more than 8 weeks for these plants to adjust to their new home. Therefore, I suspect your plants are just melting back a bit as they adjust. Furthermore, cycling can also be stressful to plants. I have greatly reduced the amount of melting I get in a new tank when I cycle before I add the plants.

I wouldn't worry at this point. Your plants likely just need time.

gabray47

Java ferns grow slow and anubias grow slower. Therefore, it can take more than 8 weeks for these plants to adjust to their new home. Therefore, I suspect your plants are just melting back a bit as they adjust. Furthermore, cycling can also be stressful to plants. I have greatly reduced the amount of melting I get in a new tank when I cycle before I add the plants.

I wouldn't worry at this point. Your plants likely just need time.
Thanks so much for the advice. I considered doing that, but I got so many varying answers on if that was good or not good. When you're new, it can be hard to decipher all the information. I will just keep an eye on them. I appreciate it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
heihaci
Replies
Views
Vis
Replies
Views
Magtom
Replies
Views