Plants not doing great

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by Eatfishhuntrepeat8, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Eatfishhuntrepeat8 New Member Member

Hi everyone! I'm new here so give me a break but any so I've had this 20 gallon long tank set up for about 4-6 months now. In my tank I have:
    2x 20 lb. bags of eco complete substrate
    2x 24 watt t5ho lights from zoomed
    100 watt heater
    marineland c-160 canister filter for up to 30 gallons
    milwaukee regulator and solenoid (1-2 bubbles per second) co2
    thermometers etc.
    ( the lights and co2 are on a timer for 8ish hours then an aerator comes on when they are off)
    ph around 7
    soft water around 3
    flouish trace/ flourish

no fish or anything but had a nerite snail dye because of lack of O2( hung out at top of tank)

im growing: dwarf hairgrass, myrio green, baby tears( not dwarf), crypts, pennywort

****The moral of the story is that my baby tears are growing very slow and browning at the tips, I had Amazon sows in there multiple times but it kept turning brown too and mushy, I also had cambomba green and it just melted away!!!! The hairgrass is beginning to fill in but slowly:mad:... What am I missing or have too much of hellppp!! oh yeah and my water is always a greenish yellow tint and I do 1 to 2 water changes a week and there is a thin layer of light green algae on my hair grass sometimes even if I lightly vacuum the grass, just to remove any big stuff.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Are you using any liquid fertilizer or some form of co2?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Yes the Milwaukee co2 regulator with solenoid connected to a bubble counter then a ceramic diffuser from fluval(co2 proof airline tubing too)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  4. Dom90

What kind of light are you using and how many hours are you running the light? I believe hemianthes is a medium to high light plant.

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I believe you might have to switch to dry ferts and have a stronger light for those high light plants

6. Dom90

I think BDpups has experience with Milwaukee regulators.

7. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Do you have a drop checker? The baby tears are not Hemianthus callitrichoides. Do you know what they are?

It sounds more like a lighting issue right now.

8. Dom90

Oh ok those are DWARF baby tears lol

9. BDpups

Hemianthus callitrichoides, HC, short for dwarf baby tears, are the really small leaf plants that are common in Amano aquascapes. But, there are others that are commonly called baby tears too. It's not really 100% necessary to know exactly what the OP has, but it might help. Maybe they aren't fully aquatic.

10. AquaticBrandon

Yeah, I believe the regular Baby Tears are Hemianthus Micranthemoides

11. OP
    OP
    Eatfishhuntrepeat8

The lighting is a t5 ho with two bulbs, one is called flora sun, and the other is daylight, 24 watts each. It's on for 8 or 9 hours. And yes I do have a drop checker and it's always a green or bluish green at night.
    i got the baby tears from plantedaquariumcentral.com and they where not labeled as dwarf.

Oh yeah and my lfs guy said the lighting would be "great" for a 20 gallon long...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
  12. BDpups

You lighting sounds like it is fine for your tank, but it may not grow the plants that you want. Can you post some pics of the plants that you are having the problems with?

13. Dom90

Hate to say but I think the LFS guy conned you into buying the light. It may not necessarily be the right light spectrum to properly grow plants.

14. OP
    OP
    Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Uggggg! Well does anyone have any fairly inexpensive light recommendations for my tank.. I will try to post some pics of it later, i tryed yesterday of my ipad but it didnt work...

15. Dom90

16. OP
    OP
    Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Thank you! Thats actually not that expenseive, i can go around $100-120 range too if i have to, any more suggestion

I think i should move this thread to lighting :&

17. AquaticBrandon

A kessil LED light would work very well. They are pretty expensive though. But I have found a few for $120 or so

18. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Your bulbs are fine. They are the Zoomed bulbs as you stated; Flora Sun (5000K) and the other a Daylight bulb (6700K). I use to use the ZooMed as well. But I switched to the Giesemann. You also said T5HO. What is the light fixture you are using?

If your drop checker is reading green and green/blue....then I suspect CO2 is low for the amount of light you have. And plants are growing slow and algae is around. I used to run a drop checker and it ran lime/green to yellow. I ditched the drop checker.

You may want to increase your ferts. Also as said, I would think about switching to dry fertilizers.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  19. OP
    OP
    Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Hi AlyeskaGirl, my co2 levels were yellowish green but then thats when i releazed it needed to be decreased because my snail (at the time) was hanging out near the surface; in need of O2, and eventually passed away.
    I dose the ferts as recommed by flourish.
    Its just the Zoomed t5ho

20. OP
    OP
    Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Hey guys sorry it took so long but here, I'll get more close ups.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice