Plants Maybe?

remy113

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi guys. I’ve been looking at my tank lately trying to figure out how to make it prettier. I want to do a drift wood log in it. I know you can attach plants to it but I don’t want a high matince plant. I was thinking about a carpet plant but I’m at a loss on that to. I also have been thinking about switching to sand not gravel. And for info I have a heated 30 gallon tank with a gravel base and one fake plant the other ones got disgusting in my algae bloom and a air stone. I have a couple gold fish and plecos that’ll I’ll be getting rid of soon and replacing it with something smaller like glofish tetras maybe. I have a marine land 200 filter setup running and a 108 bulb 18w light on top..I would think it would be considered low light. What would you guys suggest ? And would plants help control algae ? I don’t really want to do co2 injections. I’ll post a pic so you guys can see how empty the tank is. And yes those curtains stay shut with blinds behind the closed to stop sun light.and if I do swap to sand I’ll be putting a piece of foam or something in my intake cage of my filter setup to stop sand from getting in my pump or try atleast

Attachments

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plants that would work for you would be java fern, java moss, and anubis. these are the easiest. their are some others but they might require a little more care. the 3 listed can also be anchored to driftwood. I would also stay away from carpeting plants. these usually need a high co2 injection with nutrients and high lighting. Plants do help control algae in the idea that they use up excess nutrients, but don't think of a plant as a algae preventer.

remy113

Valued Member
Reaction score
Plants that would work for you would be java fern, java moss, and anubis. these are the easiest. their are some others but they might require a little more care. the 3 listed can also be anchored to driftwood. I would also stay away from carpeting plants. these usually need a high co2 injection with nutrients and high lighting. Plants do help control algae in the idea that they use up excess nutrients, but don't think of a plant as a algae preventer.
No I was not meaning as a preventer just as a another way to help keep it at bay some. I was thinking of putting a piece of drift would in each side and attaching to that. Would I need any fertilizer or anything for those plants ?

Last edited:

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the 3 plants listed do not need any fert, co2, or high lighting. The only way one could kill them is if you bury the roots.

remy113

Valued Member
Reaction score
the 3 plants listed do not need any fert, co2, or high lighting. The only way one could kill them is if you bury the roots.
Na I would attach it. I am highly thinking for the fern. Is there any others possible beside those 3? Trying to figure out a decent setup. If I don’t need to change the substrate it’d be awesome

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think the rotala is going to work for you. It gets very ugly in a low setup. If you wanted to explore your options- Wisteria, Guppy Grass, Hornwort, Ancharis. these would be as far as i would go without some prior experience first and the current set up

remy113

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't think the rotala is going to work for you. It gets very ugly in a low setup. If you wanted to explore your options- Wisteria, Guppy Grass, Hornwort, Ancharis. these would be as far as i would go without some prior experience first and the current set up
As time goes on I will want to explore more but right now I want some easyier plants to put in till I get more knowledge and money to spend on the tank. But thanks for all the suggestions I’ll look into the other ones you said to. I may throw some fertilizer in to help the plants start the first few weeks but not for ever. Unless that can cause an algae problem

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could attach java moss or subwassertang moss to the driftwood. You could also plant jungle val, dwarf sag, and chain swords in the gravel as well. I think you lighting looks good enough to grow all the plants mentioned above.

remy113

Valued Member
Reaction score
You could attach java moss or subwassertang moss to the driftwood. You could also plant jungle val, dwarf sag, and chain swords in the gravel as well. I think you lighting looks good enough to grow all the plants mentioned above.
Yeah I think the light should be fine even though it’s considered low light. Yeah I think I’m gonna attempt 2 java fern and the moss on driftwood one on each side.

A. Rozhin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Amazon sword plants are really easy to grow, and will get as big as you want them. When I say easy to grow, I gave my mom one for her 2 gallon betta tank and it is going strong and put out runners. Very hard to kill. Beautiful, also, and you'll probably get more than one plant out of it when it puts off runners. I have several. They respond to fertilizer, but do fine without. Also not picky about light.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom