Plants look ok? And ID!

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just wanted to see if my plants look ok... Some look good, others look a little sickly. The first and second pictures are the same plant, and that one seems to have the most problems. I have picked a lot of browning/dying leaves off of it. Also, the plant in the third picture is planted in another corner and seems to not be doing well either...

Also, I don't know what some of them are! Only one I know for sure is the flame moss. Thanks!

EDIT:
Sorry! I forgot to rotate the pics before posting!

Attachments

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I think the plant in the 3rd photo is a type of anubia. Slow grower. Hold on for more responses.

Ken

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1st pic is definitley a Sword, perhaps Echinodorus Latifolius.
2nd pic might be Cryptocoryne Walkeri.
3rd pic appears to be Anubius Barteri var. Nana 'Gold'.
4th pic is perhaps Hygrophila Polysperma.
Last pic is either Aponogeton Longiplumulosus or Boivinianus. Probably Longipumulosus.

Overall they don't look too bad except for the Sword which appears to be suffering from a lack of ferts & co2.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Nutter! I had a feeling you'd respond

I'm working on getting the C02 and ferts straightened out, making some calls about Flourish Comprehensive tomorrow to a few local places, and going to add another 2L bottle to the mix for C02 Hopefully things will improve!

For the anubias, I have another in the corner that I didn't take a picture of, but it often has dying leaves that turn very mushy... It could be because they get left too long because it is behind the driftwood and I don't see them, but could there be another cause? I try and examine them all daily and remove dead/dying ones.

Thanks again! You've been lots of help getting all this plant stuff sorted out!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anubius generally do best when they are attached to rocks or wood rather than planted in the substrate. You can have them in the substrate but you need to make sure that the rhizome is obove the gravel. There's a sticky at the top of the plant page that shows where the rhizome is. The way your describing the plant dying off sounds like the rhizome might be buried in the substrate or perhaps the plant is recieving too much light.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First pic looks like Cryptocoryne lutea to me, and so does the second. I see Cryptocoryne balansae as well. Third pic looks like Cryptocoryne petchii, fourth possibly Hygrophila corymbosa, and fifth seems to be another crypt balansae. They all look like very nice plants. Crypts don't like to be moved much, and sometimes when you bring them home, they get in a little snit and the leaves melt off. Sometimes they don't. What you're describing may be the beginning of crypt melt; if so, remove the dead/dying plant matter and the best thing you can do is wait. Melted crypts can take a few weeks to recover but if it happens you'll see some new growth if you just give them some time.

Hope this helps!

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks all!!!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm with Harpua on the last pic being a Crypt Balansae, but I was also thinking Crypt Crispatula because I like that word better than Balansae, but they're the same.

-Lisa

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm.... The last two pics are the only two I'm absolutley positive about because I've got them in my tanks. Harpua, your no good for my confidence. When someone equally as knowledgeable as me, such as yourself, gives information like this with a perfectly good explanation as well, I have to pay attention. Now you have me questioning my own plants & my knowledge. Grrrr.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hehe sorry Nutter!! I remember the tags the plants came with (although I know they can be wrong...) said something like New Species! Crypt x Will for one of them, and another had augustifolia in the name I think. Two of them were crypts, one was a balansae I think if I recall the tag, and another was something "mi oyaa"... I just found the tags this morning! But I'm missing one. And I don't remember which tag goes with which

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nutter said:
Hmmm.... The last two pics are the only two I'm absolutley positive about because I've got them in my tanks. Harpua, your no good for my confidence. When someone equally as knowledgeable as me, such as yourself, gives information like this with a perfectly good explanation as well, I have to pay attention. Now you have me questioning my own plants & my knowledge. Grrrr.
I wouldn't go that far, lol... I never got into the high light plants/setups because I got into reefing. I'm more of a jack of all trades, master of none.

BTW, when I said petchii earlier, I should have said pontiderifolia. I have both in the fishroom right now and am always getting them mixed up.

Paigee, does Hygrophila corymbosa "angustifolia" sound right to you? I have some of that, it's a really easy plant and I think you'll like it. Actually, all of these are great choices if I haven't already mentioned that.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks harpua, that does sound familiar! And just incase anyone was wondering, I got my light timer and mix for my extra C02 today! Just have to set it up!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads