Plants In Sand?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by XenoMarc, Apr 7, 2017.

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Hello!
    Before I buy some sand, plants, driftwood and rocks tomorrow, do you know any hardy, low maintenance, beginner plants that are able to be planted in a sand substrate?
    Also, can plants like anubias and java fern do well planted in a sand substrate without being tied to anything as long as the rhizome is above the sand?
    Thanks! :)

2. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I have Cryptocoryne Wendtii planted in sand and it does well.

3. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

I have Java Ferns that are planted in the sand with the rhizome above the sand they have done very well. Some of the babies will be getting mounted on my driftwood when it's ready to go in the tank.

4. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

5. justinmo

justinmo Valued Member Member

Most plants do fine in sand and yes, just keep rhizomes above the substrate!

6. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Hello guys. Thanks for the replies! :) What about bacopa in sand?

7. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Hello!
    Before I buy my sand, plants, driftwood and rocks today, I have a question:
    In my tank, I plan to have like some rocks stacked on top of each other to make like a mountain and add plants to it.
    But what I'm worried about is the gas pockets in sand. What if gas pockets build up under the rocks and I can't reach it to rake the substrate?
    Thanks! :)

8. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

I feel like people make this way more of an issue than it really is.

As long as your substrate is no more than an inch and a half thick you'll have no issues.

9. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I have never had such issues, in 50 years of keeping fish in tanks with substrates. You would have to pour containers of food in to have to worry.

10. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Unless it is a really deep sand bed there should be no issue with anaerobic gas pockets.

However for another reason, I would recommend placing the rocks in the tank first and then adding the sand. This will ensure that the rocks are more stable and don't collapse.

11. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

If the rocks are heavy get some egg crate for them to sit on

12. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks :) is there any way to keep rocks stacked in place with like glue or something?

13. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

You could use aquarium safe silicone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice