Plants in Gravel?

LJP

I was wondering, I have a couple bags of aquarium gravel and didn't know if live plants could live in it. I was also wondering what type of substrate do you recommend for live plants i have just normal fluval stratum and my plants have seem to be doing fine but just wanted to hear some other recommendations.

Asomeone

Just depends on the plant. If they are heavy root plants then you would need to supplement with fertilizer tabs. If they get their nutrients from the water column then you'd be fine.

86 ssinit

Plants grow great in gravel. Add good lighting and ferts and your ready to go .

OneLittleBubble

I find plants do better in gravel than sand since it lessens the chance of an anaerobic environment occurring. Sand makes oxygen flow difficult and often leads to anaerobic environments. You can get gravel with the nutrient water thing inside if you're worried about nutrients. I'm not entirely sure if it's necessary though.

LeviS

Some plants do fine in gravel, small/fine plants like a carpeting plant probably could be done but little extra work with it. I used eco-complete for 2 years, it was ok, nothing special, inert substrate with pretty good cec value( probably better using your fluval stratum over eco-complete). I currently am using an alternative substrate safetsorb found at tractor supply stores, I like it so far, its clay based, has nice color, excellent cec value, not super beginner friendly as it messes with kh/ph. Sand is pretty nice, easy to plant in, fish love sifting through it.

AcornTheBetta

LJP said:
I was wondering, I have a couple bags of aquarium gravel and didn't know if live plants could live in it. I was also wondering what type of substrate do you recommend for live plants i have just normal fluval stratum and my plants have seem to be doing fine but just wanted to hear some other recommendations.
I use dirt capped with sand and it grows plants amazingly!

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
I use dirt capped with sand and it grows plants amazingly!
What dirt do you use for that?

AcornTheBetta

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
This one:
Ty! I have one more question, (I don’t mean to be taking over the thread, sorry ops
Does the soil effect water parameters?

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
Ty! I have one more question, (I don’t mean to be taking over the thread, sorry ops
Does the soil effect water parameters?
No, it can leach into the water if you add too little cap, but I have never had that problem. PM me if you have questions so we don't side track this thread.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom