Plants in Fish Bowl

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well the other day, I got a pretty 1 gallon vase at Walmart, hoping to do something aquatic with it. No, no, definitely not fish. Instead, I've already put a bit of Seachem Flourite in it. I was thinking of planting a sprig of Java fern and maybe a bit of anacharis in it. Is this possible?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No problem at all so long as you have a suitable light source & regularly change a little of the water. Carol has been doing something very similar just recently. Here's her thread about it:

I'm sure she will be happy to discuss the finer details with you when she has time if you PM her.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's really pretty! But I don't have a bubbler. Uh-oh.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bubblers are easy: small airstone and small air pump and voilà!

Like Nutter said, the biggest worry will be lighting. I'm guessing that putting it in front of a sunny window will do but don't quote me on that--I'm a noob.

-Lisa

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Preferablly not direct sun but a place that gets lots of indirect sunlight I think would probably be better.

Perhaps you can find the right location nearby one of your tanks & you can just put a gang valve onto an existing air pump so that it runs to the tank & the vase?

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am actually growing some very healthy Java fern in a 1 gallon tank with only ambient room lighting. I had planned on getting a little light for it but its doing great.
I was going to use one to grow Daphnia but I couldnt talk my wife into a jar of green water on the window sill. =)

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
luckily java fern/moss do ok with low light situations. i've had both and they did fine with minimal light. though those were in a fish tank.

but your idea sounds really pretty! i'll have to check out carol's thing. and post pics of yours

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads