Plants In Filter

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Anna94, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Anna94

Anna94 Valued Member Member

Can I keep a live plant in my filter? If so, what plant would be best and would I need any chemicals to help keep it alive?

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Hi! What kind of filter do you have? If you have a hang on the back style you can try bamboo or pothos, I just recently added both and they are doing great. I added seachem flourish, but not really for those, for some aquatic plants I added in the tank. I doubt its needed for those two as most people grow those with just water, they are pretty low maintenance. BUT! I am sure it wouldnt hurt either, maybe just low dose if you wanted to try it.

I have pothos in another tank I do not dose with anything and it is also doing great. I literally have it coming out the back through a hole I made in the lid shroud with its bare roots in the tank water.

3. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Bizzaro post some pics that sounds mad !

4. OP
    OP
    Anna94

Where can I get pothos? I know I can get bamboo at Home Depot, but when I search for pothos I can't find it.

5. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

My Walmart has pothos. Or if you don't want to look there, any plant place might have it. Steins gardens and gifts usually has everything.

6. OP
    OP
    Anna94

Will I need special lighting to grow plants in my filter? The only lighting my tank gets is the light from my Beamswork tank light and I also leave my bedroom light on whenever I'm home

7. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Pothos and philodendron will both work, I believe. You can get them at the gardening section at WalMart.

8. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Will do :)

For pothos, I doubt it, it grows in office buildings across the world just fine :p Mine only gets the reflection of light from the aquarium and already has a new leaf unfolding, its been about a week.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  9. BettaPonic

BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Would recommend Marima Hang on box. The roots cannot grow into the impeller. You also get a good view of the roots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice