plants in an uncycled tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by fishingman001, Apr 9, 2010.

1. fishingman001

fishingman001Well Known MemberMember

can plants go into a tank that isn't cycled?

my friend is setting up his 40 gallon but can't cycle it because he is leaving for a 2 month trip. if he puts in plants will they survive until he cycles his tank?

2. ilikefishValued MemberMember

Plants would rather be in an uncycled tank because they Love ammonia... so yes they will most certainly survive...

3. mathas

mathasWell Known MemberMember

To be clear, plants tend to thrive in tanks that are in the process of cycling (i.e. elevated ammonia/ammonium levels). An uninhabited, uncycled tank with no nitrogen source wouldn't really be beneficial at all.

If the tank won't be cycled for two months (and I assume won't have fish until it's cycled?), the plants wouldn't receive the nutrients they need unless fertilizers were added routinely.

4. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I agree. IMO there is not much point in setting up the tank and running the equipment, lights, etc. for 2 months before the tank can even begin cycling. I'd personally just wait.

5. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

+1. Excellent advice.

6. OP
    OP
    fishingman001

ok. i will tell him not to add the plants.

can the water sit in the tank without the filter, bubbler, etc running?
    will it still be good after 2 months?

7. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

tell him to just leave it empty until he returns

8. OP
    OP
    fishingman001

ok. i'll let him know.

9. NejiValued MemberMember

Hmm... some people say you should add the live plants, others say no. I would add the live plants a week after the tank has been filtered through the filter after it has started. That is what I did, and my plants flourished really well :)

10. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

There are no fish in the tank Neji. No fish = No wastes. No wastes = No nutrients. No nutrients = poorly growing or even dying plants.

11. pepetj

pepetjWell Known MemberMember

If the tank will be running for two months without supplying food in it, I would only place plants if and only if I have a highly rich (nutrient wise) substrate. I would add at least 1 Apple Snails per 10 gallons of water, put the lights-on for 14 hours per day.

In two months without water changes the tank is likely to show marks of evaporation around the upper end. No big deal. Also expect some organic waste accumulation in the substrate from dead leafs. Dose with Iron prior to leave.

I would not try this with soft/acidic settings.

Beneficial bacteria can indeed colonize the tank this way.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

12. OP
    OP
    fishingman001

so pepetj what you're saying is put in plants and 4 apple snails (since it is a 40 gallon) and leave the lights on and that will cycle the tank?

what will the apple snails eat if there is no food. will they die from the ammonia poisoning? he was planning on putting 2 amazon swords and 3 java ferns plus some other easy care plants. will that work?

13. ilikefishValued MemberMember

+1 : )

The snails will eat microfilm off the leaves and if they get too hungry they'll eat the leaves themselves but barely anything... good luck

14. pepetj

pepetjWell Known MemberMember

The Apple Snails will feed on algae, as well as (probably) freshwater pods that eventually will develop in there.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

15. NejiValued MemberMember

Hmm... ever thought of using fertilizers? I always use fertilizers for the plants.

16. mathas

mathasWell Known MemberMember

The problem in this specific situation is that the original poster said his friend was leaving on a two-month trip.

If he won't be in the house to cycle the tank via a more standard method, he's also not in the house to fertilize.

17. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Why take a chance with a new tank setup with no one around? Something could go wrong with the equipment or the tank could even be faulty. If the tank is not yet set up, I'd say let it sit until your friends return from their trip.

18. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

All the snails & stuff in the world are not going to help supply nutrients to attached plants like Java Fern anyway. There is absolutley no way I would be setting up the tank until I was back from holidays. It's not like I'm going to be looking at it so why run the risk & have a bunch of dead/unhealthy plants when I return. There's no point in making something more difficult & expensive than it needs to be.

Sorry to disagree Pepe but 14hrs light is way too much on any planted tank. The plants will not benefit from anymore than 12hrs light & they will be perfectly happy with less than that to. All 14hrs is going to do is invite algae to pay a visit.

19. OP
    OP
    fishingman001

thanks for all the advice. my friend said he is going to wait. He already put rocks and driftwood in and will put the rest in when he returns.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice