plants in a high pH cichlid tank?

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i have a cichlid tank with lavarock and crushed coral substrate. whatr would be able to grow in that tank with 15 watts of light it is a 30 gallon tank(but the light mainly covers the middle and has about 1 W/gallon in the middle.)

Alasse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Possibly, though your cichlids may rip it up and you'll find it spread to everthing. It can be invasive..

I'd try a small bit and see how it goes

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
it wouldn't bother me but if anything i could rip some of the moss up and sell it.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When Alasse says they will rip up the Java Fern, she means really rip it up. They will tear it into little shreds that will end up all over the place clogging up fitler intakes & be all over the place. You wouldn't have anything to sell because it would all be in tiny pieces.

Many Crypts will do well in hard water/high ph tanks. Cryptocoryne Balansae, Cryptocoryne Undulata, Cryptocoryne Walkeri 'Lutea' & Cryptocoryne Wendtii are the best of the Crypts for the conditions you can provide. Othr plants that will grow ok under those conditions include: Anacharis/Elodea (Elodea Densa), Fissidens (Fissidens Fontanus), Water Clover (Marsilea Hirsuta), Pellia (Monosolenium Tenerum) & most Anubius Barteri variants.

Java Fern is a maybe.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom