Plants ID please Question 

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I bought a few Red Cherry Shrimps the other day from aquabid.

There were 2 tiny plants came with the shrimps in the package.

I have no idea what specie it is.

Please ID for me. Thank you!
Also please throw in a little information on it too. (such as lighting needs and how I should plant them)

387.jpg

388.jpg

Oh yeah, the shrimps are not very red. A few are almost like ghost shrimp with a few red spots on the top. Is it normal? They are less than half inches long. Do red cherry become redder when they grow bigger?

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's Anacharis. It's a floating plant and it grows very quickly.

phil saint

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
grows very very quickly lol its the only thing that can survive in my malawI tank lol floating or planted this stuff just grows and grows

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
By growing fast, do you mean they grow really really high? Or they would spread out and become dense?

phil saint

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
they grow in length and have like side shoots. mine went from 4 to 16 inch in about a month and a half lol I think they are a great low cost plant for aquariums, they aren't to demanding on light or ferts, they are high oxegenating and the best thing is you can cut bits off when it gets to long, stick it in the substrate and it grows no problem.

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
phil saint said:
they grow in length and have like side shoots. mine went from 4 to 16 inch in about a month and a half lol I think they are a great low cost plant for aquariums, they aren't to demanding on light or ferts, they are high oxegenating and the best thing is you can cut bits off when it gets to long, stick it in the substrate and it grows no problem.
Ouch. That will be above my water level in a month lol... My 40 gallon is only 16" high, minus the substrate and top space there is only 12" of water at most.

May I see a picture of a bunch of them being together? I wonder if it will make good shrimp and fry hiding place.

phil saint

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sure I'll just take a quick pic of my cichlid tank and post it for you

phil saint

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
there ya go

Attachments

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anacharis is like the bamboo of the aquarium.

RCS are less colorful as juveniles. Females will be red and males will be a clear color with brown spots.

Where are you keeping those RCS until your tank cycles?

-Lisa

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kunsthure said:
Anacharis is like the bamboo of the aquarium.

RCS are less colorful as juveniles. Females will be red and males will be a clear color with brown spots.

Where are you keeping those RCS until your tank cycles?

-Lisa

Can it survive in low lighting? I will have only 2x 20W for the 40 gallon. The 10 gallon is having 2x 10W but they are compact I think...short...so each covers only half of the tank. (Yep, that was another Petsmart's mistake lol. The hood for 10 gallon I bought had specification of for a single 18"/15W bulb. When I received it, I found out it is designed to use 2x shorter lights)

I keep my Red Cherry Shrimps here until my tanks can be cycled.
427.jpg

I have room temperature between 72~78F these days. And I do daily water change.

I plan to get yellow shrimps too. I still can't decide whether to put RCS in the 40 gallon which will be a community tank, or in the 10 gallon which will be a shrimp only tank. In my opinion Yellow Shrimps are better looking lol, and they are more rare compare to RCS. (I know I have to keep them separated) in order to avoid cross-breed. I really wanted the better looking Yellow Shrimps in my main tank(40 gallon), but then they won't have a chance to mass reproduce due to other fish might each the fry. I want to end up with more Yellow ones lol. But I also want to have my main tank look as awesome as possible. Hard decision!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You have to try to kill anacharis, and even if you try to kill it, it won't die. Low light is perfect. Heck, it could probably grow in a dark closet.

If you give shrimp enough cover, plenty will make it. I've got RCS in the 20 gallon and I can hardly ever find them because I have it densely planted with artificial plants and have lots of little nooks and crannies. I know they're in there, though.

I've got yellows in my 5 gallon and they look great. I added my red nosed shrimp tonight and those guys are awesome, but they need brackish water to breed. I'm going to add a few more species to that tank, not sure which. And I'm going to add a large shrimp to the 37g eventually.

ETA: here's a great chart showing shrimp compatibility.

Keep a really close eye on that water, RCS are really sensitive to water conditions. Do you have any gravel or other substrate you can put in for them? They'll be much more comfortable with surfaces they can grip.

-Lisa

phil saint

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
the stuff is indestructable lol it will do just fine in low light

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads