Plants ID please

  • Moderator

Lucy

Moderator
Member
HI Plant People
Could you ID these plants please?
I was told they were easy, low lights. I forget the names.
I remember some were different varieties of the same type of plant.

Oh, and anything you can add to help me keep them alive will be great.
I'll do some more research after I know what they are.

Thanks!
 
  • Moderator
  • Thread Starter

Lucy

Moderator
Member
These too, x
 

Goldwing_Don

Member
The first one and last one I have no idea..the rest look like Java fern to me..just my best guess.
 

harpua2002

Member
1. dwarf sag
2. java fern
3. and 4. needle leaf java fern
5. java fern

then,
1. and 2. narrow leaf java fern
3. java fern
4. small sword plant, can't ID it from the pic
 

Butterfly

Member
1) narrow leaf chain sword(echinodorus tennelus)

2-8) different cultivars of Java Fern
9)Samolus valerandi

Hope that helps
Carol
 
  • Moderator
  • Thread Starter

Lucy

Moderator
Member
Looking up the first one, looks like it could be either.

The java ferns make sense. Easy enough, attach them to drift wood or rocks.

The last one was given to me a couple months ago as a tiny thing, the size of a small finger nail. I was going to buy a snail but they were dead. This little plant was floating in the tank. The clerk didn't know what it was so he gave it to me.
Threw it in a tank and it's done wonderful.

Thanks everyone!
 

Nutter

Member
I think the first one is Echinodorus Tenellus. How tall are those plants?

The others are variants of Java Fern & I think the last one is Water Cabbage (Samolus Valerandi) as well. The veins in the leaves look all wrong for any Sword I've ever seen.
 
  • Moderator
  • Thread Starter

Lucy

Moderator
Member
The longest leaf on the first plant is 2 1/2"
Can I just cut the runner to separate and plant them?
 

Butterfly

Member
Lucy said:
The longest leaf on the first plant is 2 1/2"
Can I just cut the runner to separate and plant them?
Yes you can cut the runners. they are not only easier to plant that way but will form runners of their own and make new plants
Carol
 

Nutter

Member
Butterfly said:
Yes you can cut the runners. they are not only easier to plant that way but will form runners of their own and make new plants
Carol
+1.

Being that size I think they are Echinodorus Tenellus var 'Tenellus'. They stay much smaller than normal Tenelus do topping out at about 2" tall with leaves a maximum of 4" long. They need bright to very bright light & a fine nutrient rich substrate. Usually with the level of lighting that they need co2 has to be employed to promote plant growth & reduce algae growth.
 
  • Moderator
  • Thread Starter

Lucy

Moderator
Member
Nutter said:
They need bright to very bright light & a fine nutrient rich substrate. Usually with the level of lighting that they need co2 has to be employed to promote plant growth & reduce algae growth.
mumph, oh well. I'm going plant them and hope for the best.
 

Butterfly

Member
Nutter said:
+1.

Being that size I think they are Echinodorus Tenellus var 'Tenellus'. They stay much smaller than normal Tenelus do topping out at about 2" tall with leaves a maximum of 4" long. They need bright to very bright light & a fine nutrient rich substrate. Usually with the level of lighting that they need co2 has to be employed to promote plant growth & reduce algae growth.
Yep I found that out after I planted mine.
But they did grow in the plain gravel and standard lighting. They just got a little taller reaching for light. Then after they took over my tank I pulled them up and sold them at auction
So get them planted girl and post us some tank pics!
Carol
 
  • Moderator
  • Thread Starter

Lucy

Moderator
Member
lol, Thanks Carol, I will.

Thank you, everyone Really appreciate it. l
 

Nutter

Member
Doesn't hurt to try. You never know, you might prove the accepted theories on growing them to be all wrong. I've grown plenty of plants in conditions where they were supposed to die & Tenellus are usually pretty tough & adaptable. So long as you plant them where they won't be shaded & you have half decent lighting they should at least survive or spread out slowly.

Keep us informed on how you go & make sure you give us our picture fix.
 

Butterfly

Member
Nutter said:
Doesn't hurt to try. You never know, you might prove the accepted theories on growing them to be all wrong. I've grown plenty of plants in conditions where they were supposed to die & Tenellus are usually pretty tough & adaptable. So long as you plant them where they won't be shaded & you have half decent lighting they should at least survive or spread out slowly.

Keep us informed on how you go & make sure you give us our picture fix.
That's what's wrong with me! I need a picture fix!! arty0024:
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom